Making your own firearm

Thedeerman

I would like to keep the old barrel though as there is nothing wrong with it. May be worth a bob or two in a few years ha ha ;)

In that case I think you would need it to be entered on your certificate. I think that having a spare is considered good reason for this - I understand it's common for target shooters.

why go for .22 hornet k, for the money i'd go .17HH, more demand if you come to sell it

I have been doing a lot of reading into the hornet as I am I little dismayed be the choice of heads available. A little digging an I found that in America they are commonly swapped to a 1:12/ 1:10 / 1:9 or even 1:8 twist barrel and run with 50- 60 grain heads producing a far better arc out to 300 yards than the lower bc 35 - 45 grain rounds more commonly associated with the hornet. Why k hornet ? Well I may as well it costs no more ;) he he the gains are margin able but it seems to be slightly more stable where accuracy is concerned.

Its not a cheep job though so it may never happen.

I have been doing a lot of reading into the hornet as I am I little dismayed be the choice of heads available. A little digging an I found that in America they are commonly swapped to a 1:12/ 1:10 / 1:9 or even 1:8 twist barrel and run with 50- 60 grain heads producing a far better arc out to 300 yards than the lower bc 35 - 45 grain rounds more commonly associated with the hornet. Why k hornet ? Well I may as well it costs no more ;) he he the gains are margin able but it seems to be slightly more stable where accuracy is concerned.

Pain in the bum doing the brass.

That hornet you looked at of steves shoots .4in with a load thrown together with no development.

Edited by cockercas

Pain in the bum doing the brass.

Ha ha o dear :/

I will see when the time comes if its worth changing to k or staying with standard hornet.

It's a shame I couldn't afford the Rouger mate it looked a lovely rifle and already with the faster twist barrel. Well you lives and learns.

Edited by Amazed

and how would that compare to the .17HH, what are you using it for?

Ha ha o dear :/

I will see when the time comes if its worth changing to k or staying with standard hornet.

It's a shame I couldn't afford the Rouger mate it looked a lovely rifle and already with the faster twist barrel. Well you lives and learns.

Steve tryed talking me into k hornet.

But as i see it, you dont really gain anything just it gose abit faster.

Mines accurate so no need to change.

and how would that compare to the .17HH, what are you using it for?

I was thinking of a 17 but a whole new rifle to use in the day.

This is just to improve the overall choice of bullets

In an ideal world I would go for the 17 for light game and the odd fox and get a 222 or 223 for night use for fox but the office says no lmao.

So am stuck with the hornet for now. ;)

I was thinking of a 17 but a whole new rifle to use in the day.

This is just to improve the overall choice of bullets

In an ideal world I would go for the 17 for light game and the odd fox and get a 222 or 223 for night use for fox but the office says no lmao.

So am stuck with the hornet for now. ;)

ask him for a .243, he then might back you off to a .223

Would it be legal to make your own section 1 firearm, providing you have a slot for the calibre you are making on your ticket?

ONLY if you have it proofed, stamped and put your name on it::

Then submit for your ticket:

You cannot just grab them out of thin air, They want to know where it CAME FROM.??????.

You cannot just grab them out of thin air, They want to know where it CAME FROM. ??? ???.

I see no requirement to have it proofed unless you wish to sell it.

A RFD would be able to enter into the system without any questions asked.

You cannot just grab them out of thin air, They want to know where it CAME FROM. ??? ???.

Why do you need a makers name on it ?.

Anyone authorised by the firearms act can add it to your cert.

But why would they (the RFD) want to be associated with it's history?

They have no reason to be interested. The are often given firearms that have been found, and they enter them onto the system. They also get people just hand over guns, which again they enter on the system.

If you went into a RFD and said 'I've made this gun, can you put in on my certificate please' why would they care? Unless they have reason to think a gun has been used in a criminal way (in which case they may notify the police and ask them to look into it) why wouldn't they do it?

Obviously they'll charge a small fee for their time.

Step one is to discuss it with the Office.

If you have a slot already and never plan to sell it then the law cannot stop you. That is not the attitude to approach it with though.

My Office said it is so unusual a request that they would strongly request becoming an RFD with permission to manufacture. Also they would want it proofed for public safety considerations.

It's quite simple for any decent mechanical engineer to do but the "approval" hassle makes it rather uninteresting.

I nearly did it but I left engineering so it was irrelevant

So if I didn't register as a RFD, I would be holding an illegal firearm until it was entered on my ticket.

So that raises the question of at what point it would become a firearm. Could I produce the component parts and then get an RFD to complete the build? Would the collective unassembled parts still be classed as a firearm?

Edited by zeff1357

Being an RFD is purely cosmetic. As soon as the materials were "activated" it would need to be put on the ticket. This could be done by an FAC holder or an RFD.

That is the only time a ticket holder ever writes on his own ticket ;)

A sized barrel capable of attachment would qualify. So would a receiver capable of chambering a round.

You can do it, I think you'd just make it and get a RFD to enter it onto your certificate. The only bit I'm not sure about is the part between making it and getting it on ticket, that may be slightly tricky. It may be possible to make it into the various components and take it to be entered, then assemble them. You just need to find a way to not have a firearm in your possession without it being on your ticket.

The bit in the middle is proofing.....

The bit in the middle is proofing.....

I'm not sure you need to have it proofed if you're not offering it for sale ie. making it for your own use.

I think the 1868 proof act states - selling or exchanging, or attempting to sell or exchange, a Small Arm the Barrel or Barrels of which are not duly proved or marked as proved.

I really couldn't see a problem with getting a slot for something like this and getting it put on your ticket - again no proof necessary unless selling it?

http://www.southernmuzzleloading.com/p/kentucky-pistol-project.html

And if you could get that on your ticket then why not make one from scratch - any half decent hobby machinist with a home workshop could easily make a really nice piece - and very satisfying too. :)

But surely its not a firearm until its been proofed to prove it works,

The idea of proofing is to show that a firearm is safe (i.e it won't blow up with a certain load) so that anyone who wants peace of mind or anyone buying it can't buy something dangerous.

A firearm is still a firearm whether it is proofed or not, and to be classed as a firearm it may not even be complete and able to fire.

Edited by bedwards1966