Going on my 1st driven shoot Saturday, any tips?!

Stratts

I'm beating on Saturday on beaters day and I've been told to bring my gun as I'll get a chance of a couple of drives. I wasn't expecting it as I've only been beating a couple of times and have never done any kind of game shooting before.

To be honest I've only used my shottie a handful of times on the pigeons and clays as I'm more a rifle man.

I'll have an experienced gun standing on the peg with me but any tips as to how to actually shoot the birds if I get the chance. All the birds are wild so I may not even get a shot but I'd like to know the basics and any do's and don'ts so I don't c0ck things up!

Cheers

Stratts

Pheasants are big lumbering targets that more than often go in a straight line...not a tricky shot compared to pigeons.

Safety is the main..be aware of where everyone else is and where your muzzles are pointing!

I would suggest they aren't as simple as all that. Listen to the guy with you and think safety and you will enjoy it. We're out on Saturday as well and it's usually a really enjoyable day followed by much drinking afterwards one of the real reasons the good shoots never struggle for beaters

Same for me! Give it plenty of lead!!!!

I thought that was the point giving them plenty of lead!! Lol

That's the thing I aint sure where to aim if they are coming straight at me. Do you cover the bird with the barrels so the shot is starting in front of it??

• 2 weeks later...