all fac/shotgun rules

Maori Haz

ok first of all i'm sorry i started a new thread for this but i really need all the facts so i am prepared to send off for a SGC.

what are the rules with the placement of the cabinet? e.g. does it have to be out of view from certain things etc.

what do you have to do when sending off?

where should i keep ammunition

etc. etc.

If you can add anything please tell me as all help is greatly appreciated. :look:

Haz :lol:

Surely it is worth 1/2 hour of your time to read and digest the Home Office Guidelines

If you really are serious about applying for and purchasing a firearm there is no excuse for not knowing the rules.

You will be surprised how much you will learn from this little exercise.

ct

If you are that concerned about it, wait untill you have your visit and ask the FEO's opinion. When I applied for my SGC I didn't have a safe at all. I just showed him where Iwas proposing to put it and showed him which one I weas getting and he OK'd it. I then bought the safe and bolted it to the wall. He then checked it when he delivered my certificate.

I am not sure if hand delivering them is common but my FEO likes to do it.

I would still advise reading the HO guidelines though.

most of it is common sense as it goes, just think about making everything as hard to get at as possible for a thief, keep the cabinet out of sight (where possible) upstairs is good, held in with those expanding bolt things as well is good, the keys are suppost to be with you at all times or bloody well hidden, shotgun cartridges

dont have to be locked away but it is good practice.

sid

most of it is common sense as it goes, just think about making everything as hard to get at as possible for a thief, keep the cabinet out of sight (where possible) upstairs is good, held in with those expanding bolt things as well is good, the keys are suppost to be with you at all times or bloody well hidden, shotgun cartridges

sid

This is the basic jizt of things, when my FEO came over and walked in my house, my dog was going mental, i thought...ooooo how embarrasing, but he happily pointed out, whilst laughing that this is the sort of thing that can deter a theif, also things like security lighting on a house, locked doors, double glazed UPVC windows etc etc..

A good solid gun cabinet bolted to a concrete wall is a must,

• 1 month later...

sid

Sorry to drag this thread up again (saves posting a new one!).

Is it law that the cabinet keys have to be kept on your person (what about the spares), and all the time? Or must they just be un-accessable to un-authorised persons?

My gun cabinet is in my hobby room. There are many tobacco tins, baby milk tins, etc, with nails, screws, gubbins in. I was thinking of keeping the keys in amongst them in one of the tins - is this NOT a good idea, then?

Reading the home office guide will give you a good knowledge base, it is easy to pick out the chapters that are relevant to you, it will also give you the chance to gen up the right information so when the FLO does visit you have some idea of the requirements yourself, this will do two things, firstly it shows you have done your homework and are serious, secondly it will stop you being "misinformed" by the FLO, there are many discussion threads on this forum that clearly demostrate just how little some FLO's know about these guidelines and firearms in general. So 1st gen up on the guidelines and 2nd give the FLO a call and ask for his/her advise.....

Good luck......

Is it law that the cabinet keys have to be kept on your person (what about the spares), and all the time? Or must they just be un-accessable to un-authorised persons?

My gun cabinet is in my hobby room. There are many tobacco tins, baby milk tins, etc, with nails, screws, gubbins in. I was thinking of keeping the keys in amongst them in one of the tins - is this NOT a good idea, then?

No, you don't have to keep them on you.

Yes, keeping them in a tin is fine, as long as only you know where they are :unsure:

Thanks Bradders. I'll look up the home office guide - I'm expecting my FEO to call any day now to inspect the cabinet and issue the 'deeds'.

Yes, keeping them in a tin is fine, as long as only you know where they are :unsure:

Good. As I say, there are loads of tins in the hobby room - it's organised chaos. It would be easier to use large/power tools than look for the keys!

Thanks Bradders. I'll look up the home office guide - I'm expecting my FEO to call any day now to inspect the cabinet and issue the 'deeds'.

Good. As I say, there are loads of tins in the hobby room - it's organised chaos. It would be easier to use large/power tools than look for the keys!

The FEO wont want to know where your keys are anyway...As thats part of the rule...no one is supposed to know..not even him..he will just ask if both sets have been hidden and to insure your the only one who has access to them

Surely it is worth 1/2 hour of your time to read and digest the Home Office Guidelines

If you really are serious about applying for and purchasing a firearm there is no excuse for not knowing the rules.

You will be surprised how much you will learn from this little exercise.

ct

+1. Essential reading, Much of it won't apply to you and is easily skipped. But you need to be prepared to do some background work.