Has anyone atempted to make one of these Knives?

ukkat

Afternoon all, has anyone tried out one of the knife making kits

such as http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/5110

and whats the finished product look like,

i would love to do the whole sherbang, but limited tools and experience would this be a good project to start with.

or is it best to buy a blank and some scales and do it that way.

Cheers.

G.

• 3 weeks later...

Here ya go mate, this is my second knife Ive made from that kit. Made this when I was at uni so also had little access to tools.

Tools used:

Hand drill and a few bits - to drill hole to take the tang

Standard araldite

Wood rasp/file

Chisel

Sand papers of different grades

Linseed oil

Something to clamp the knife to

A decent wood file (if thats what they are called, not as harsh as a rasp) with one sized curved was the most useful tool for making this knife. Saves having to carve too much with a chisel.

CIMG0396.jpg

CIMG0397.jpg

CIMG0398.jpg

CIMG0401.jpg

CIMG0404.jpg

For 30 odd pounds I think its great value and if you really mess it up you can always cut off the handle material and start again. You can also make the handle to any design you wish, the lighter coloured wood was a bit of seasoned eucalyptus. Also by putting leather between the harder materials means that you can butt the joints up really tight without having to worry too much about getting a perfect square fit. It also turns a really nice dark shade of brown when you apply the oil.

Give me a shout if you need any tips of advice, would be happy to help!

Edit to say: if you have a dremel type tool that would also make it easier to build and just use a sanding wheel.

Edited by Curly87

The blade is fine, keeps it's edge OK, but at it relatively soft [by that I mean compared to fancy steels] but in return that means it is easy to sharpen.

This is the kit, mine was 30 quid or so, so they have gone up - a lot :blink:

http://www.attacc.co...nifemaking-kit/

I guess you have to decide if you want to go down the kit route or do one from scratch.

Complete build was a few hours, the hardest bit is drilling out the hole for the tang to go into the handle, you need long drills and bit of patience to not snap them, or do the handle in sections like the other one above.

The blade is fine, keeps it's edge OK, but at it relatively soft [by that I mean compared to fancy steels] but in return that means it is easy to sharpen.

This is the kit, mine was 30 quid or so, so they have gone up - a lot :blink:

http://www.attacc.co...nifemaking-kit/

I guess you have to decide if you want to go down the kit route or do one from scratch.

Complete build was a few hours, the hardest bit is drilling out the hole for the tang to go into the handle, you need long drills and bit of patience to not snap them, or do the handle in sections like the other one above.

Agree you have to be careful drilling out the hole for the tang. The handle on mine was made that way because I snapped a drill bit and had to cut the curly birch in half to retrieve it :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

These kits are for sale all over the internet, which to me means no one is buying them!!!

Cheers

Or perhaps that they are very popular?

I have made 3 of these, good kits and the blades hold a very nice edge. Having practiced on these though I now just buy blade blanks and make the rest up from scratch. Ronnie Sunshines and Uttings are good sources.