177HMR and 22 Hornet

ditchman

im not a rifle shooter anymore, i used to shoot with much lager calibres,

out of interest can you list the caperbilities of the 177hmr and the 22hornet such as effective ranges and type of quarry you are using them on, and downside of the 2 calibres

I know you cannot compare one against the other

regards

ditch

I have an Anschutz 1517 in 17HMR flavour. It is a class wee caliber. The ammo it likes is CCI 20grain gamepoint and Federal V-Shock 17grain. It is pinpoint accurate at 100 meters ie about an inch or less groups, It can shoot much further. At 150 meters the rounds drop about 2 inches. But still has good groups but open up to about 2 inches. I use it on Crows, magpies, pigeons, bunnies etc to good effect at these ranges. Foxes I would only do close range, less than 100 meters. Definately recommended rifle

I have an Anschutz 1517 in 17HMR flavour. It is a class wee caliber. The ammo it likes is CCI 20grain gamepoint and Federal V-Shock 17grain. It is pinpoint accurate at 100 meters ie about an inch or less groups, It can shoot much further. At 150 meters the rounds drop about 2 inches. But still has good groups but open up to about 2 inches. I use it on Crows, magpies, pigeons, bunnies etc to good effect at these ranges. Foxes I would only do close range, less than 100 meters. Definately recommended rifle

right that falls into line with exactly what ive been told and what i thought cheers.......anyone tell me for the 22 hornet.......

The Hornet is best home loaded. Then you get double the power for free as they cost a similar amount to load as HMR factory rounds. If you're mainly shooting rabbits then you may as well stick with the HMR but if you think you'll see a few foxes rather than the odd one then the Hornet comes into it's own. It's not as big as the larger centrefires and is mild to use. It works to a very similar trajectory to the HMR but can easily kill a fox out to 150 yards. 100 yard foxes with a HMR are risky at best - I've tried it and had runners and I'm not a bad shot. I just don't trust it on animals larger than rabbits.

To make full use of a Hornet you need to be a keen home loader as well as shooter. But if you're willing to put the time in it has a lot more to offer than the rimfire without having to up the size and weight of the rifle/moderator etc. At the same time if you're very much a grab some bullets and shoot stuff kind of bloke then the Hornet isn't for you - not unless you want to spend a fortune on ammo.

Edit - the Hornet is also considerably better in the wind than the HMR due to the heavier bullets.

Edited by njc110381

The Hornet is best home loaded. Then you get double the power for free as they cost a similar amount to load as HMR factory rounds. If you're mainly shooting rabbits then you may as well stick with the HMR but if you think you'll see a few foxes rather than the odd one then the Hornet comes into it's own. It's not as big as the larger centrefires and is mild to use. It works to a very similar trajectory to the HMR but can easily kill a fox out to 150 yards. 100 yard foxes with a HMR are risky at best - I've tried it and had runners and I'm not a bad shot. I just don't trust it on animals larger than rabbits.

To make full use of a Hornet you need to be a keen home loader as well as shooter. But if you're willing to put the time in it has a lot more to offer than the rimfire without having to up the size and weight of the rifle/moderator etc. At the same time if you're very much a grab some bullets and shoot stuff kind of bloke then the Hornet isn't for you - not unless you want to spend a fortune on ammo.

Edit - the Hornet is also considerably better in the wind than the HMR due to the heavier bullets.

with a heavy bullet what range can you safely drop a fox at...........

you can get out 50% as far again with a .22 hornet and 45grn bullets for the same wind drift in inches. Yes 150yds wind is equal to 100yds HMR wind as a rough approximation. at 130yds zero your within 1/2" point of aim trajectory wise 3/4" low at 150 and require a 2 moa correction at 200yds (or approx. 4" if you hold over) if you zeroed a HMR likewise you will get over the top misses at peak trajectory and 200yds headshots on bunnies are real hard, with the hornet they are well doable - in the right hands

The energy of the Hornet is around three times that of the HMR yet it will do a good job of harvesting rabbits and the like for the table, is a great hare rifle and fully fox capable to over 200 yds IF the shooter knows the gun and can shoot it. In fairness you cannot compare the two but my hornet totally replaces the HMR I had and I will never buy another HMR while the hornet resides in my safe

with a heavy bullet what range can you safely drop a fox at...........

That depends on the shooter not the gun - over 300yds the terminals are there ! would I try it? not unless I was 100% sure of the range had a steady clean shot without any wind etc its 7 moa low but can still hold a very tidy group. In fairness it holds the same energy as say a .22 mag rf does at 100yds at said 300! THIS IS HANDLOADS USING 45 GRN SEIRRA HORNET

That depends on the shooter not the gun - over 300yds the terminals are there ! would I try it? not unless I was 100% sure of the range had a steady clean shot without any wind etc its 7 moa low but can still hold a very tidy group. In fairness it holds the same energy as say a .22 mag rf does at 100yds at said 300! THIS IS HANDLOADS USING 45 GRN SEIRRA HORNET

Assuming the conditions are as above, then a 50gn Hornady SPSX with an MV of 2770 ft/sec will provide just a couple of ft/lbs less - neither here nor there - than the above example at 450 yards - the terminals are there.

Would I take either shot? Not a chance. There's more to it apart from just energy levels, the first point being, can you do it consistantly?

I have a hornet and its a lovely round for med to smaller permissions.

Bit of a do all really, with the right bullet and charge it can be an affective bunny basher with not too much damage from front end shots and much and more effectively modded than the hmr. swapped to a Vermint bullet and its devestating on crow out to 200 yards with out too much effort or marksmanship. Fox can be taken with no problems a bit further.

But if you select a gun with a faster twist rate you can go up to 50 grain and maybe push that distance out a tad further again aswell as gaining the advantages if the extended bullet choices and better bc.

It's not what I would call a dedicated foxing calibre more of a good all rounder.

A good choice :)