Cabinet capacity-advice please

If the chief constable or FEO do not feel you make the grade - you will not recieve a cert, therfore they make the decision - you choose to apply for one but you are by no means gauranteed to get it.

You are failing to understand how the process works though. The police apply the law and that is all. If you meet the statutory criteria then they they must grant the certificate - they have no choice. There is no discretion involved. Therefore, it is correct to say that it is a right in law to be granted a certificate. They cannot simply say 'he doesn't meet the grade', whatever you man by that, they have to show why you do not meet the requirements of the Act. If they cannot do that then they must grant the application. It is not discretionary and the words 'shall grant' make that crystal clear.

And you think "Appropriate" isn't a little vague??? it doesn't mention any direct points that will or will not result in certain restriction/condition.

That isn't what you said though. You said there were no written regulations in place. There are in that the Act allows the police to add conditions. They may have some wide powers in placing conditions on certificates (actually in the case of a SGC they have very few powers) but that isn't the same as what you were saying.

I did not say the police - is that you twisting things again you cheeky monkey :rolleyes:, and if you are not able to accomodate the amount of guns you have you will be "uncleared" and they will apply restrictions.

Again, not what you said at the start. You said the the police 'approve' or 'clear' (your very words) your cabinet for a given number of guns and so if you put 6 in a cabinet 'cleared' for 5 you would be in trouble with the police. Now you are changing your tune to by talking about guns which you are 'not able to accomodate'. Clearly, if your cabinet can't accomodate them and you have no other secure storage you are in trouble but that is what everyone has been saying from the outset!

J.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not say the police - is that you twisting things again you cheeky monkey :rolleyes:, and if you are not able to accomodate the amount of guns you have you will be "uncleared" and they will apply restrictions.

Yes, you did. Have you read your first post in this thread? I'll quote it for you;

"

Yes - but your FEO would need to clear it - usually he sets the capacity...

The FEO is employed by the police so the police are, by your admission, 'clearing' your cabinet.

As Deckers has said; you should probably stop digging mate.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

Yes, you did. Have you read your first post in this thread? I'll quote it for you;

"

Yes - but your FEO would need to clear it - usually he sets the capacity...

The FEO is employed by the police so the police are, by your admission, 'clearing' your cabinet.

As Deckers has said; you should probably stop digging mate.

J.

employed by the police but a civvy if you want to go down that route - I am not digging at all Jonathan - you keep on proving my point that you are unwilling to admit there are different interpretations and not all FEO, forces or people agree on these.

and on the regulations and restrictions - please show me where it shows the specific restriction that will be applied to the various specific situation. :rolleyes:

at the end of the day I did not about turn at all - I stand by the first post advising the OP to contact his FEO and get it cleared - regardless of rules.- you seem to be failing to understand this.

Regards,

Gixer

:rolleyes: you apply - you have no right to own before you do so therefore, like a driving license it is not a given that you will get one....

So it's a privilege if the powers that be decide you are fit to have them...

Regards,

Gixer

If you are of good character and don't appear to pose a threat to public safety by holding firearms, you are entitled to a certificate. If you meet the criteria you cannot be refused a certificate.

Privilege - "A special advantage or immunity - OR a benefit not enjoyed by all! - a certificate is a benefit not enjoyed by all - why do you say anyone is wrong if they dont share the same interpretation as you?

and on the unwritten stipulations or restrictions - explain why so many have had a mentor condition or caliber restriction put in place or why they need to demonstrate experience - that is not in black and white anywhere yet many are held to it - I never had such restrictions put in place and went straight onto a large CF caliber yet many on here struggle to get CF at all - if it was as black and white as you say this wouldn't be the case would it??

your attitude is not that of a debate but one of an arrogant "I am always correct" - as i say - you need to learn that your interpretation is not automatically the only correct one.

Regards,

Gixer

It was in jest - the same way you failed to correct my user name in three previous posts....did it really get to you that much that you felt insulted?

Very few people who apply for a certificate get it refused. The reason few people have firearms is because few people want firearms - but it is still a right, provided you fulfill the requirements.

The police are permitted to add conditions to a certificate, that is why they can do it. But they can't refuse a certificate if you meet the requirement as you are entitled to it.

The reason some people 'struggle' to get a C/F is because if the firearms department say no, most people accept it and hope that in 5 years they'll change their mind. However, if people told them to grant it or put the refusal in writing, and were prepared to take them to court if they still say no, they would get them, as it's a right.

If the chief constable or FEO do not feel you make the grade - you will not recieve a cert, therfore they make the decision - you choose to apply for one but you are by no means gauranteed to get it.

And you think "Appropriate" isn't a little vague??? it doesn't mention any direct points that will or will not result in certain restriction/condition.

correct interpretation in your eyes.. :rolleyes:

The police cannot refuse a certificate when you are legally entitled to one. If they try to push their weight around the court applies the law, and if you are entitled to one you get one.

employed by the police but a civvy if you want to go down that route - I am not digging at all Jonathan - you keep on proving my point that you are unwilling to admit there are different interpretations and not all FEO, forces or people agree on these.

and on the regulations and restrictions - please show me where it shows the specific restriction that will be applied to the various specific situation. :rolleyes:

at the end of the day I did not about turn at all - I stand by the first post advising the OP to contact his FEO and get it cleared - regardless of rules.- you seem to be failing to understand this.

Regards,

Gixer

A civilian appointed by the police is effectively the police. It makes no difference whether your FEO is a civilian or a serving officer.

Why would you get something 'cleared' when there is no such thing?

When my FEO came round for my SGC interview he inspected my 5 gun cabinet & said "you'll get 7 or 8 in there"

When he came round for my FAC interview (13 slots) he asked if I'd got more storage capacity, I showed him my additional 2 cabinets (8 gun & 6 gun) & he said i'd be ok for 25 in total before he would have any concerns.

When my FEO came round for my SGC interview he inspected my 5 gun cabinet & said "you'll get 7 or 8 in there"

When he came round for my FAC interview (13 slots) he asked if I'd got more storage capacity, I showed him my additional 2 cabinets (8 gun & 6 gun) & he said i'd be ok for 25 in total before he would have any concerns.

Morph,

According to some he has no need to count this - please report him immediately :rolleyes::lol:

I have a 3 gun safe and when I had my visit my feo made a note it held 3, when I wanted to put more than 3 in i sent a email asking my feo if this is acceptable to which the reply said as long as the door locks and i could probably fit in 5.

In my opinion it is worth checking as what's the point in risking getting your feo's back up when they are usually as helpful as possible anyway.

I have a 3 gun safe and when I had my visit my feo made a note it held 3, when I wanted to put more than 3 in i sent a email asking my feo if this is acceptable to which the reply said as long as the door locks and i could probably fit in 5.

In my opinion it is worth checking as what's the point in risking getting your feo's back up when they are usually as helpful as possible anyway.

Thanks mate, that's what we will be doing!:)

I renewed my SGC and applied for a FAC at the same time. When he came round he viewed his concerns as his records showed my cabinet could hold 6-7 depending on type and I 7 at that time. i showed him my new cabinet that I had fitted ready for the FAC. He said it would comfortably hold 20 but he would only put it down as 10 including my other cabinet due to my alarm not being monitored. Now I know that this is it over the top, but as I have no need to have more than 10 at the moment i didn't bother arguing the toss as I just wanted my FAC. I think this is where all the misunderstandings come from, as every FEO and department has its own guide lines and recommendations.