Google Bans Guns from Feb 13th

1in9

To be specific Google are banning Adwords Adverts and Shopping listings of all types of Guns and Parts enforced from February 13th, see their new regs:

Guns - Google doesn't allow the promotion of guns, such as pistols, rifles, BB guns, sporting guns, air guns, and blow guns.

Gun parts or hardware - Google doesn't allow the promotion of gun parts or hardware, such as clips, magazines, receivers, stocks, barrels, buttplates, grips, mount, forends, handguards, gun springs, and gun triggers.

Ammunition - Google doesn't allow the promotion of ammunition, such as blank ammunition, high capacity magazines (that can hold more than 10 rounds), silencers, and converters.

http://support.googl... ... er=2731539

Nice of them to give us traders a couple of days notice kill.gif It's death by a thousand cuts for us purveyors of shooting bits worried.gif This just after the potential Royal Mail post ban (still in consultation) and now this. Which is a big thing from an online sales point of view. rolleyes.gif

The *****

Edited by 1in9

No, unless they are being devious you will still find normal search Google results for kick eez pads. What it means is gun traders can't place Google Adverts for Kick Eez (in the paid slots at the top and sides of the screen) or list their products in Google Shopping (which shows useful products in the search results) like other companies.

It's a kick in the online sales nadgers for Gun shops who trade online and shooters depend on. Not the end of the world but another painful cut to shooting businesses.

Edited by 1in9

I wonder how much google will loose on advert revenue with this stunt.

To be honest... When i google something, i never click on the adverts anyway. Always look at the searches.

The google shopping aspect will be a kick in the teeth though. Loss of another selling platform

I use Adwords for my Gundog business. Wonder if that'll be affected.

How much do you spend on average a month on these campaigns? Because a quick Google of 'gun dogs Kent' doesn't put your kennel in the top ten results. SEO alone could achieve that and more, a one-off cost, rather than a monthly spend. Just a thought.

Edited by mick miller

It is not about who buys it it is about the act in itself of banning lawfully held items that can be owned some with a licence some without. it is their anti-gun policy. I don't care if I never buy anything from Google Adwords, but they shouldn't get away with stuff like this. This is the slippery slope. What is to say for example that your local ISP might just decide to ban form their servers any website involving "guns". There goes you viewing "Pigeon watch". It's never about some minor ban, try to se the bigger picture.

Boycott Google....another subscriber to the "nanny state" :mad: :mad:

This has nothing to do with the "nanny state", as it's a personal business decision taken by Google - I suspect after the recent spate of school/shopping mall/university massacres in the US.

An example of the nanny state would be where the UK or US gov't had enforced this move upon Google, and neither has, so this is the polar opposite of nanny state and actually an example of a company in a free market economy making its own business decisions.

Go ahead a boycott who you like, but this has nothing to do with the state, nanny or otherwise.

We have looked into this. These changes apply only to Google Shopping, not the search engine as a whole. So it will not stop searches for ‘gunshops’ or ‘shooting grounds’ or ‘shooting accessoris’ for example, but we will not be allowed to sell products through the Google shopping section.

Any questions please ask, and I will get my web manager look into it.

David

As Google has 91% of search engine market share so the the likes of Bing, Yahoo and Altavista are small beer.

Hence this change is pretty significant for shooting businesses, Google Shopping is not to be sniffed at when it means a 10%+ uplift in sales.