Roost shooting

Alecheywood

How many times will pigeon circle before trying to land do you think?

Why do you want them to land? As soon as they are in range shoot them on the wing.

Find the area in the wood where the birds are roosting (where all the poo is on the floor). Then place yourself down wind of this spot (pigeons have to land into the wind), in a spot where you can shoot through the canopy. Where good camo clothing, cover all your skin; i.e. where face mask, gloves etc. When the birds are approaching in range, don't move until the very last moment as they will see movement. Finally, bring plenty of cartridges incase you have a good night. Enjoy, imho roost shooting is some of the best sport you will have.

Why do you want them to land? As soon as they are in range shoot them on the wing.

Find the area in the wood where the birds are roosting (where all the poo is on the floor). Then place yourself down wind of this spot (pigeons have to land into the wind), in a spot where you can shoot through the canopy. Where good camo clothing, cover all your skin; i.e. where face mask, gloves etc. When the birds are approaching in range, don't move until the very last moment as they will see movement. Finally, bring plenty of cartridges incase you have a good night. Enjoy, imho roost shooting is some of the best sport you will have.

Thanks for the advice. What i meant is should I leave them to circle and come back over me lower, or take them as soon as I see them in range

Thanks for the advice. What i meant is should I leave them to circle and come back over me lower, or take them as soon as I see them in range

If they are borderline height, then let them circle. You should be able to tell when they are going to land as they will approach just above the height of the trees and quite often they will have their wings folded. It's not always practical, but you are better roost shooting on a windy night, as the birds will approach lower and the sound of your shots won't carry as far.

not at all, just try to stand with your back to a tree or bush or they will see your outline when you move, so its, back to the wind, back to a tree or bush and concentrate as your window to shoot is a very short one, you see them later than decoying and they can be over your head and gone before you can blink, I like to keep the gun up at all times so its just a quick move to mount and fire, you rarely get a pair so be ready to give the target both barrels if necessary, best of luck. :good:

The weather is forecasted to be cloudy, mild and 6 mph wind. How badly will this affect my chances?

A calm night isn't ideal, but still go. What this means is that the birds will be higher when they are approaching the wood, so this means your concealment will have to be better as they may circle a few times. Good luck and let us know how you get on.