Is my two year old cocker to old to train

fuggytail

Hi guys i have a pet cocker she is my daughters dog and is two year old .She has never been shooting with me or even heard a shotgun go off the question i have is she to old to try and train her i only want her for pigeon shooting so nothing to hard in the field .My daughter has started college now and has not got so much time as she would like with her so im thinking of taking her with me on my days out on the pigeons .The other question i have where would i start should i just take her and sit her in the hide to let her see what its all about and try and bring her on from there or start her at home with a starter pistol and to get her to pick up and bring back a dead bird first .Sorry to sound so thick about it all but i have never trained a shooting dog before and everytime i look on the net for info its always saying you must start your dog off at a very young age .Like i say the dog has only been a pet and never done anything at all in the field before and i think we could have some nice long enjoyable days out if i could train her to pick up and bring back for me and not be frightened of the gun .Any advise given will be much appreciated thanks to who ever replies ...ALB fuggy....

It may be possible , but working cockers and show lines are very different creatures , so first of all check the pedigree if it has show lines then you face a very up hill battle.

Assuming that the dog has had basic training and will sit and stay then I would be tempted to see how she reacts to the gun rather than messing about with starter pistols etc but that would also depend on if the dog is of a timid nature or not.

i am a big believer in throwing a dog in the deep end as a pup

i have always taken mine to a local clay ground and walked around at 10 weeks old, not shooting just getting nr the guns with the dog.

i didnt do this with my current cocker "16 weeks @ the time" i took him for a walk through a marsh on one of my perms while he was getting his nose down and discovering i let around 5 shots off,he was that busy with the nose down i dont think he realised i had fired the gun

since then he loves hearing the gun go off i think it makes him feel happy

at 2 yrs old i would suggest going with someone the dog trusts "wife or kids" keep him on a lead

walk around 50yds away and let a shot off, you will see straight away with the dogs reaction how he his going to be with the future shots and take it from there

cockers are not stupid they all have a excellent gundog quality in them just some more than others

if its hide work and a companion you want its never to old to train if you already have her love and loyalty your half way there...

Edited by delburt0

It may be possible , but working cockers and show lines are very different creatures , so first of all check the pedigree if it has show lines then you face a very up hill battle.

Assuming that the dog has had basic training and will sit and stay then I would be tempted to see how she reacts to the gun rather than messing about with starter pistols etc but that would also depend on if the dog is of a timid nature or not.

Sorry i forgot to say shes a show type cocker thanks lads for the info so far.....

Hi Fuggy, I was looking for a Cocker Gundog as the wife was all for letting me get one....(she would be left with it all day)

She had a look on Youtube and said "they look nothing like what I was expecting" and said she was not keen. (Still working on it)

The thing is, a working Cocker & a show Cocker may be the same breed but totally different dog.

Not many look like your fluffy little lap dog she expected, they are full of life and want to work....more like a Springer in nature....Mad.

It will be hard work, but well worth it as you will learn loads while trying.

Good luck

Edited by The Ghost

The age will not be the problem but by their nature show cockers are bred for showing and won't have the same natural urge to pick up game and bring it to you. It could be possible but it will be slow going. I'd start with retrieving in the garden/park and get her used to bringing back tennis balls, then dummies and then if all goes well try cold game (rabbits first as feathers can cause problems for some dogs). Then very slowly introduce dead pigeons and if she retrieves them you will be in with a chance.

If she is able to retrieve you could then slowly introduce her to shotguns bu going near to a clay shoot and gradually get her nearere the action. There are plenty of experienced trainers on here which will know more and better ways but that is how I would start.

Good luck

It will depend greatly on the individual dog but i'm sure with a bit of work u could get it to some sort of stanard.

I know u have said it is a show bred dog, but most dogs will retrieve things even non gundogs it just will not either have the drive, nose and ethusiasium for either hunting or picking that a working 1 would, but u should be able to get it to retrieve

I take it it does play 'fetch' Start it slowly just gettin it to bring back stuff to u (i take it it has basic obedience sit, heel, recall, without those u will always struggle) if its not keen try rolling/bouncing a tennis ball down a hill to get her keener.

There is a lot u could do i'd suggest reading a few gundog books and possibly joining a local gundog club, start to train ur dog to obey whistle and hand commands

My words of warning would be don't throw it in at deep end esp when it comes to gun shyness/nerveousness it may be more likely to be gunshy from a non working background so take it really slowly to start with.

Also i'd take my time before letting it retrieve a pigeon as the feathers fall out so easily it could put a nervous retriever off

I would introduce the dog to shot first, as if it's not happy with gun fire your wasting your time teaching retrieving.

Take it easy and don't throw it in at the deep end.I would take the dog on to your permission with your wife or daughter and start firing the gun as far as possible from the dog, at least 150 yds, and gradually come closer.The person who has the dog should be getting the dog excited by whatever means, as each shot is fired, so the dog associates gunfire with something pleasurable .

Take your time and best of luck,as shooting with a dog is what it's all about.

Bill

Thanks guys for your info im going to take her with me and my son tomorrow for the first time and il walk her across to another field while my son shoots a few times and see if i can slowly walk back up to the hide and see what her response is. She is doing great on the retrieve with a ball and she sits and waits great my daughter had already learnt her all these things.So i have just got to see what shes like with the gun fire she dont make any fuss with the fire works going off so thats given me a bit of hope .Anyway il keep you all posted on how she gets on for the first time tomorrow and thanks again to all that replied ALB...fuggy...

Hi ya lads i took the dog today and she was fine my son let a few shots off she didnt bat a eye so i walked around 30 yards from the hide and he let rip again still no problem.So i got her in the hide waited for some birds to come in two hours later still no sighn of anything flying so i just had to see what she would be like right next to me i shot two in the air and she never moved didnt bother her at all :good: she realy enjoyed her self i just wished i could have shot some birds for her to see what she made of it.Iv never seen it so bad not even a crow lol but its got me going now im off again in the morning to try again its cost me around £3 in chicken treats tho lol but well worth it :lol: Im just going to keep at it now and see how it goes just glad shes not gun shy.Thanks again for all your info... ALB ....FUGGY......

Have you tried to get her to retrieve a dummy?

I would try and get her picking dummies for you, then cold pigeon, then warm pigeon before sending her for a freshly shot one so at least you know she'll come back with whatever she picks.

And don't send her on a corvid, if not dead they will go for her eyes.

Have fun with her.