.20 HW90

Tiger955i

HI All.

I was looking briefly at an HW90 in .20

My questions were. With the demise of Theoben should I be concerned about spares in the future for the gas ram? Also is there any benefit in the .20? Is it really the ideal compromise between the flatter trajectory of .177 and knockdown power of the .22. It will be mostly used on feral pigeons.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I used .20 a fair while, its fine but not worth the hassle of finding the best ammo then stocking up in massive bulk. Shooting Accupell the trajectory is the same .22 or .20. H&N were good but to be fair even placed between .22 and .177 means 2 1/2 yds flatter. In all honesty it killed better than any .177 I have owned and about level with the .22 smaller by tiny amount but faster a tiny ammount. For ferals I like .22 (no over penetration issues and better for taking those iffy angles and still getting a bang flop). Never found trajectory a slight advantage regards ferals as they are often silly close and I have gone through a few hundred pellets in a big cull, why mess around getting supplies? If the gun don't like H&N your into the same as a .22 using accupell, if it don't like either your stuffed

HI Kent.

Many thanks for your reply. As you say are often close in the barns in easy range of.22 or my favorate .25-HW80. But they also tend to settle out of range for my .22 and I am not too keen on using my .177 on them.

ATB.

Jamie

Whichever way you cook it there is 5 yds trajectory advantage in a .177 over .22. Now ferals aint the hardest quarry to get closer to in barns under torchlight. If you have some strange legitimate reason why 5 yds makes a difference go 15ft lb FAC .22 or wack the .25 HW80 up a tad more it will likely prove ideal

I used .20 a fair while, its fine but not worth the hassle of finding the best ammo then stocking up in massive bulk. Shooting Accupell the trajectory is the same .22 or .20. H&N were good but to be fair even placed between .22 and .177 means 2 1/2 yds flatter. In all honesty it killed better than any .177 I have owned and about level with the .22 smaller by tiny amount but faster a tiny ammount. For ferals I like .22 (no over penetration issues and better for taking those iffy angles and still getting a bang flop). Never found trajectory a slight advantage regards ferals as they are often silly close and I have gone through a few hundred pellets in a big cull, why mess around getting supplies? If the gun don't like H&N your into the same as a .22 using accupell, if it don't like either your stuffed

I like your reasoning. :):good:

Thanks for the replies and views guys.

Unfortunately where we are does not lend its self to shooting with a lamp. Yes there are various locations and situationswhere the extra range would be usefull. Washerboy sorry to hear about your HW90. I use to have a Fennman which was a brilliant airgun and I still have the pump and I know it's basically the same set up in the 90.

At the moment my HW80 is running at around 11.2 so not much room to ramp it up any more LOL. I do have a slot for FAC air on my certificate so as you say Kent I may be better going down that route.

Many thanks again:-)

ATB

J

That`s now`t for a HW80. I had one in the 1980`s in .22.

I have been told that the older HW80`s did have a bigger air tube. More air.

I had a play with it (ie) OX Box spring and a piston weight and a bit of polishing.

It finished up going over Target sports crono at 23 ftlb. It was outstanding to shoot.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

LOL

I know what an 80 is capable of and I know what would happen if I was caught with mine running that high:-) hence a sedate 11.2.

My FAC air slot is for .22 I have been looking at the AA S510 Extra. It may be time to bite the bullet and get one.

J.

What i was thinking was to register your HW 80 has an FAC Rifle. After upping the power. :hmm:

But if your slot is for .22 and your HW 80 is .25 cal. :/

Could your slot not be changed to .25 cal. ???

What .25 cal pellets are you using. I am using 19 gn Marksman not bad.

But I have just got some tins of German made Ram Points 27 gn. :good:

They hit like a sledgehammer and just destroy Rat`s. Good fun. :yahoo:

Hi Mate

Sorry, yes, I knew what you were meaning and did not want to sound sarcastic, apologies if I did.

When I applied for the FAC air to be added I requested .25 and .22 FAC air. The idea being to up the .25 to 15-18 ftlb which would make an outstanding rat cannon :-) and have a .22 FAC air for shots where my .22LR would not be suitable. Unfortunately I was only granted .22FAC air. Out of the two I thought the .22FAC air would have more uses so left it at that.

My .25-HW80 is an old Steve Harper sleeved barrel job. The only pellets it works with are Milbro Rhino and they work very well:-) I believe but am not 100% sure this barrel sleeve is actually .243 and I have seen pellet sizers which can down size .25 pellets to suit this barrel but the Rhinos work so why change.

Jamie