Guns at work

Asa Bear

A left-wing fireman with a vehement disrespect for authority and an attitude that holding firearms in his place of work is his 'right'. And, I bet also a Chelsea supporter :-) not sure how the CFO (if they are still called that) would feel about such attitudes within his ranks. Certainly, the Head of the County Council would be unimpressed.

If you look through some of the comments - remembering this is a public forum - there is a case of being liable of bringing the Brigade into disrepute. The key word is LIABLE (doesn't mean it has to actually happen). I am unsure how the Union would defend the position. Logo, having been on both sides of Fire Service discipline, now would be the time to stop with this thread mate. The more you say, the worse it is making you look.

However, my advice is only worth what you pay for it ;-)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A left-wing fireman with a vehement disrespect for authority and an attitude that holding firearms in his place of work is his 'right'. And, I bet also a Chelsea supporter :-) not sure how the CFO (if they are still called that) would feel about such attitudes within his ranks. Certainly, the Head of the County Council would be unimpressed.

If you look through some of the comments - remembering this is a public forum - there is a case of being liable of bringing the Brigade into disrepute. The key word is LIABLE (doesn't mean it has to actually happen). I am unsure how the Union would defend the position. Logo, having been on both sides of Fire Service discipline, now would be the time to stop with this thread mate. The more you say, the worse it is making you look.

However, my advice is only worth what you pay for it ;-)

My politics or football team are none of my employer's business.

If I had a vehement disrespect of authority I would disregard the SC's orders and carry on doing as I pleased. As it stands I have abided by his ruling but as I feel it is unfair I have sought guidance from other authorities both outside and within my organisation.

My politics or football team are none of my employer's business.

If I had a vehement disrespect of authority I would disregard the SC's orders and carry on doing as I pleased. As it stands I have abided by his ruling but as I feel it is unfair I have sought guidance from other authorities both outside and within my organisation.

And in doing so have managed to bad mouth your SC openly on a public forum. I think that firmly falls into the category of "bringing the service into disrepute" As has previously been said it would be VERY easy to work out who you are if any of us were so inclined! You should have quit this thread a long time ago mate. But crack on as I am keen to hear how you get on :good:

Edited by m3vert

I am only posting this to kill time before I close up and get my flight back to England...and to keep Tightchoke happy :-)

Logo, you keep telling us your SC isn't your employer. You are (surprisingly!) wrong!! Your employer has seen fit to promote the SC to that position, making the SC their representative at your place of work. Ergo, his decisions are viewed as being supported by the employer. He has full devolved responsibility of the employer, that's how these things work. There are MANY things that will not appear in Station Rules/Routine Orders/COMs/Notes for Guidance but will need someone to make a ruling (on behalf of the employer); that will be part of the role for the SC. If your only gripe is 'others are allowed' and 'I always used to', then you are out of luck. I have no doubt that your actions of raising this with others will only lead to it being stopped for all :-( I don't think it will make you very popular with your peers. If you can only do things that are in writing, I would suggest you are a bit of a risk to be honest. Modern firefighting is based upon dynamic risk assessment - often steps are required which are not cast in stone/ink. Are you this inflexible then too?? I am not taking a dig at you but YOU have set yourself up as a pontificating fool; and still keep posting.

Slating the actions of you SC is not good, his position entitles him to a certain amount of respect. And, contrary to your comments, he IS your employer. An old CFO once told me 'respect the rank/position, even if you hate the man'. In real terms, your 'Employer' is actually Brandon Lewis!! He is the Fire Minister, to whom CFOs are ultimately accountable.

I have no doubt you will procrastinate with everyone on this issue, unless they agree with you. Sets you, your personal attitude to authority and the Fire Service in a very poor light. Can't wait to 'read all about it' in the Sunday tabloids :-). :-). Man up, take it on the chin and trot on.

Slating the actions of you SC is not good, his position entitles him to a certain amount of respect. And, contrary to your comments, he IS your employer. An old CFO once told me 'respect the rank/position, even if you hate the man'. In real terms, your 'Employer' is actually Brandon Lewis!! He is the Fire Minister, to whom CFOs are ultimately accountable.

I have no doubt you will procrastinate with everyone on this issue, unless they agree with you. Sets you, your personal attitude to authority and the Fire Service in a very poor light. Can't wait to 'read all about it' in the Sunday tabloids :-). :-). Man up, take it on the chin and trot on.

I don't recall logo ever being disrespectful! Nor bringing the "service" into disrepute, asking for advice and guidance both within the official channels and outside.

Very interesting though..... Seems a number of members are scared and ashamed of being shooters and only reinforce the daily snail attitude of the uninformed.

What a load of old tosh. Maybe some of us are just sensible enough to understand the difference between work and personal life?

If your employer allows it then good for you, but if they don't then accept it and move on. There a far more important issues for shooters out there. And most of us have got better things to be getting on with at work.

I don't recall logo ever being disrespectful! Nor bringing the "service" into disrepute, asking for advice and guidance both within the official channels and outside.

Very interesting though..... Seems a number of members are scared and ashamed of being shooters and only reinforce the daily snail attitude of the uninformed.

I didn't mention bringing the brigade into disrepute, I mentioned 'actions liable to bring the brigade into disrepute' - two very different things'. As for disrespectful, it might be time for you to re read the posts. As for scared and ashamed, quite the contary, I think we have a duty to stop other people getting bad press for us. Hence, the lack of support for Logo's cause.

Edited by Beretta06

What a load of old tosh. Maybe some of us are just sensible enough to understand the difference between work and personal life?

If your employer allows it then good for you, but if they don't then accept it and move on. There a far more important issues for shooters out there. And most of us have got better things to be getting on with at work.

:good: :good: :good: spot on Bagsy