Open cert

I cant understand why your getting worked up about the wording on a cert, those of us that have OPEN tickets, know this mainly because of the wording, but secondly because we talk with our firearms officer, and thus we know 100%

it seems your argument is all in the wording, not something that would stand up in a court of law, "I DIDN'T KNOW" is not acceptable, its down to the cert holder, therefore anyone that is unsure, would hopefully ring their FAO, rather than ask on an open forum

I had a similar friend who had a closed ticket, yet would read the reverse and try damn hard to make it sound open, maybe for his own benefit? it sounds to me, your trying to make words written on a cert, make it OPEN, rather than talking to a FAO

for those that argue why open or closed,

those of us with open, could walk into a customers garden, and shoot a fox, if WE THINK it's safe to do so

with a closed cert, you would ask the police first

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my cert which I have been told is `open` by the Police it states, I can use my rifles both rimfire and CF :- " on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful permission to shoot" , this means it`s down to me to assess the lands suitability for shooting.

My old one said " on land deemed suitable by the Cheif Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has permission to shoot.

this means the police assess the lands suitability to shoot.

you can argue about any wording you like but the above is plain English and non disputable.

I am closing this thread, because I am very concerned about potentially incorrect advice being provided as to the conditions on people's certificates and where they are permitted to use their firearms.

If you are in receipt of a Firearms Certificate and are in any doubt as to whether it is an open certificate or restricted to land which has been approved, you should always at the first point of call contact your own Firearms Licencing Officer. They are human, and if they are anything like mine, more than happy to have a chat about things, and explain anything that is unclear or confused. This is part of being a responsible certificate holder, and no one will criticise you for this.