Very low insurance group?

NickS

I am looking to get a small car for local use and, in 15months, for my son to learn on and share. Insurance is the biggest issue and I have been looking at the VW Up! But does anyone have any other suggestions for a group 1/2 car? Thanks.

Nick

Even if cars are in the same insurance group there can be quite big differences between insurance premiums, if a certain type of car has been in a lot of accidents this can push premiums up. Also the cost of repair is taken into account so a group 1 Audi would probably cost more to repair so have higher insurance than a group 1 kia say.

I have found best thing to do is use compare the market to compare different cars and do it with your son on already using fictional birth dates etc. You may be surprised it might be cheaper to insure a group 3 or 4 car than it is a group 1 depending on the situation.

I am not in insurance or anything so what i have said might be complete rubbish.

Google "lowest car to insure for 17 year old"

I did this for my daughter and got a list of 10 cars.....Lowest was a classic beetle, but the VW Lupo was on there which is a decent car

They are still not cheap, but keeping it to 1 litre seems to be the way to go

Had a look at the up the other day with a mate who was interested. They look ok ish but for a vw their poor. They look really cheeply made compared to others. What about a polo?

Much higher insurance i was told.

I'm afraid if you want to keep the insurance cost reasonable ( i use that term loosely) then I'm afraid you can't be too picky on type of car!

Main factor I think is 1 litre or below....

I always fill in the directline form then once you are done you just click amend stick a different car in then click update, fastest way I have found. The cars themselves I would avoid typical teenager cars like the corsa/fiesta/clio etc and think of old codger cars like suzuki alto honda jazz etc like they say its not really the group or value its is it the sort of car that will get nicked/crashed

I would have a fiat panda 1.2 dynamic,that for me was the rock bottom cheapest, couldnt ever find cheaper than that even 1 liters