First time airgunner....

joe1978

Hi folks, just thought I'd pop my head around the corner to this part of the forum as I've just bought my first air rifle and have alot to learn!!

Got myself a Stoeger X20 Suppressor as it seemed to tick all the boxes for my limited experience.

Brace yourselves for loads of stupid questions!! :)

Joe

Neighbours would really kick off if I tried to knock down the local corvids and woodies with a 12G. Like PT I am slowly going the shottie route, achilles tendon problems have put this back somewhat. Also no fly fishing for over 2 years now as have not been able to balance properly.

one thing i will say joe is try different pellets through your rifle mate and once you find the most accurate one then stick with them,,jsb exact,s h&n superfields ans AA,s should start you off on a good footing but stear clear from flat heads and pointed pellets as they dont seem to be as accurate as a domed pellet IMO, all the best Evo

Some guns can be pellet fussy, if you find your groups stay rather too large after lots of practice, it can be down to pellets. Some guns love cheapy pellets or expensive or oddball pellets. Unfortunately for my pocket all my guns will happily use JSB exacts, ive found them to be a fantastic pellet. To save you buying loads of different pellets to test and ending up with a load of useless ones, you can fine on ebay and even some online gun shops pellet sample packs containing a selection of common pellets to try in your gun. Good luck and welcome to the sport.

If i havent made the pellet fussy thing clear yet, here is a video that may be of come help in explaining.

Further more for some great air gun information video's and great videos on gun testing and ballistics that may really help bust some jargon that gets thrown around on this forum check out this channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/EdgunUSA?feature=watch

I dont think anyone can question this guys experience and knowledge. Only remember this, the law in the UK is that air rifles must be below 12 ft/lbs in energy without being placed on a Firearms Certificate ( known as FAC Air ) The Edgun youtube channel is based in america, and is therefore not subject to our power restrictions, The long range shots taken would be hopelessly optermistic for any air rifle set at our limits. The general consensus is that air rifle ranges are from 10 to 55 yards, though most people do not shoot beyond 45 or even 30 yards dependant on the discipline they practice ( ie target shooters may shoot 50 yards, where as someone shooting live quarry would limit themselfs to closer ranges )

Hopefully this information is of some use to you if you didnt already know it already, sorry for running off at a tangent, but welcome to the sport, this forum is generally excellent, keep us posted on your sucesses and failiures!