Help with Beretta AL391 forend

Rogc

I would like to refinish the stock and forend on my Beretta AL391.

The problem I have is that attached to the forend is a metal insert.

20130322_151637_zps5e52a1c6.jpg

20130322_151650_zps01bc2208.jpg

20130322_151532_zps6fb479d4.jpg

20130322_151608_zps4317648d.jpg

I intend to strip the forend and stock with paint stripper, then use oil to finish. I obviously do not wish to damage the insert, has anyone removed this item, if so how.

Any help would be much appreciated.

is it an xtragrain or xtrawood version ?

i'm not being funny but i hope you know what you're doing and what you're working with, some of the

391 beretta's had forms of wood and grain enhancement to make the stocks appear better than they were.

if you remove the original finish you may not like whats underneath.

not saying this is the case with yours as i'm not sure what you have but its definately the case with some.

Its got some chips in the laquer, I dont much like the laquer finish its just to shiny, and false looking. Thats why its being stripped, and oiled. Ive done a few stocks previously and have been very happy with the results. Are you saying that the grain may be painted on ?

Because extrawood is a plastic coating with **** wood underneath.

BTW, those rivets can be got just can't think who stocks them but GMK might help if you go ahead.

I would leave as is myself.

Is it plastic or laquer. I have removed laquer with either stripper or by sanding, plastic on the other hand doesnt sound good, any ideas of the best process to remove it.

As for the metal insert, I will probably just mask it off.

Edited by Rogc

Is it plastic or laquer. I have removed laquer with either stripper or by sanding, plastic on the other hand doesnt sound good, any ideas of the best process to remove it.

As for the metal insert, I will probably just mask it off.

It's like a hydrographic film, a photograph of nice grain that is stuck to the bland stock wood. Unless it is damaged you stand to devalue your gun quite considerably in my opinion.

It's like a hydrographic film, a photograph of nice grain that is stuck to the bland stock wood. Unless it is damaged you stand to devalue your gun quite considerably in my opinion.

That's why it may end in tears !

Thankyou, It is slightly damaged however having looked at it in greater detail I totally agree. The coating appears to be about .75mm thick, and as you said the wood underneath is just plain. Is there any method of repairing, as the stock has a few small chips which really spoil an otherwise nice gun.

Edited by Rogc

My auto went back to Berretta for a repair and came back scratched on the stock. They denied causing the problem and I had to use a local gunsmith to repair the scratches ,he made a good job of it but said it was a nightmare. All he could do was basically colour them in, which he did so that you wouldn't know.

I certainly wouldn't buy another with enhanced wood

Black marker with some type of laquer dabbed on after maybe?

Well thankyou everyone, I could have easily ruined a very nice gun.

I took the above advice, a black permanent marker follwed up by a water based varnish, applied with a cocktail stick into the chips. Lightly rubbed down with 2500 wet and dry then 0000 wire wool, and finially polished with meguiars ultimate compound (I wont use it on my cars its a bit harsh) anyway very pleased with the results see below.

20130323_163600_zpsf3e2c0ce.jpg

When I get a littlt more time I may give it another go, but the unsightly marks are now much less visible.

Thankyou again