Sicily

ME

Has anyone been to Sicily?

Having been to Italy last year, we would like to give Sicily a go.

Apart from the references to the Mafia and horses heads in my bed, what do we know chaps?

They speak a strange dialect, the food is great and I am told that the scenery is stunning. The head chef at a local restaurant rents out his apartment there - if you are interested I can find out more and put you in touch.

Nick

Yes. I was there about 15 years ago. We flew into Palermo stayed one night and got the train out east. (We were told the west and south west were not touristy and was were the Mafiosi retired to.

We basicly followed the train east and then south to Taormina. We hired a car to drive up Etna (a Fiat Panda). You need to have an animal aggressive nature to survive driving in the larger towns. A very beautiful place. Lots of Roman ruins . Mafia like tourists - they bring money to the island. We were rescued in a train dtation once from a local thug (he and his mates were teasing us that we had come to sicily and could not speak sicilian.) A suited gentleman in expensive sunglasses appeared and quitened the group. He put his arm around the ring-leader and led him away talking to him quietly. The locals all melted away. He had a strangely powerful affect on them. He came to us afterwards, apologised for their behaviour, explained what they were slagging us about and bought us all ice creams!

One bit of sicilian I havent forgotten is "Una caraffe de vino locale" - a jug of local wine. It is good stuff and alot cheaper than the bottled stuff.

Edited by Big Al

Went there in Feb this year, little place called LIcata, flew into Catania, right next to Etna.

Great place, very rustic in areas as well.

Food amazing the home made wine you can buy was lovely as well.

Going back in August this year.

The people are great, very friendly. I cant speak a word of Italian but my Mrs is SIcilian and fluent in the local lingo.

One of the nicest places I've ever been (several times). Lovely food & drink, spectacular scenery, 99% of the locals are friendly. (And all of them outside Palermo and the big cities) Mafia (or at least blokes in suits and sunglasses who looked a bit dodgy!) were to be seen, but weren't causing any problems. Etna is impressive, fun mountain and coastal roads. Sunny like a sunny thing. It's a good place to hire a car and just cruise from B&B to B&B, or camping if that's your thing. Camped once there for a week - hot as hell, but saw some nice out of the way places you wouldn't otherwise encounter. One of the campsites was just off a lovely secluded beach, and I ended up skinny dipping in the moonlight with a female friend, and later trying to explain with limited Italian to a strictly Catholic woman doctor that a condom had burst and we needed emergency contraception!! Good times.

Palermo is worth visiting briefly, but not a good place to drive or especially park. The whole island has lots of history too. Not the cheapest of places, but it wasn't too bad either...