Preparing a velvet Roe head.

Norrie

Hiya, I had a Buck in velvet late this afternoon..., my first velvet, as I dont normally shoot them till they are clean...anyway, I want to keep the head, BUT, havent done one before...are they dealt with the same as a clean head...??

Thanks in advance guys..:)

Yeah, I just boiled the head and picked the velvet off.

Someone suggested staining the antlers with strong tea. Didn't work great though so I just painted the antlers,(you can use wax to protect the tips and keep them white).

You can use potassium permanganate to stain the antlers and that apparently works well but I'd google that to double check!

Yeah, I just boiled the head and picked the velvet off.

Someone suggested staining the antlers with strong tea. Didn't work great though so I just painted the antlers,(you can use wax to protect the tips and keep them white).

You can use potassium permanganate to stain the antlers and that apparently works well but I'd google that to double check!

Ahhh, I was hoping I could preserve the Velvet on the antlers....is their no way to do that???

After you have bolied the head and the velvet is cleaned off you will find the tines will be blunt and soft, not particularly nice to look at.

As for staining them after cleaning, yes use a solution of potassium permanganate.

Just a few table spoonsfull in a cup or small jar of warm water to dissolve the crystals.

Then when the solution is cold use a small paint brush to put it on the antlers and give as many coats as required to get the colour you want.

Make sure each coat is dry before applying another.

You can inject something into the velvet to stop it rotting i remember a taxidermist saying.If not,strip the velvet and get to work colouring.The best method is do as the roe would,and start rubbing against branches to get some resin on it,but not on trees that matter of course.Then soak in a mixture of tea leaves and peat for a while,and then work on the trees again.If done right it looks very natural.The tine ends might not be blunt as it all depends on how close to shedding it was when shot.Heres two golds,one that was totally in velvet when shot and the other with a fair bit left and both came up for nice.

182_zps3906dbb1.jpg181_zpsef04cae5.jpg

Hiya, Some great advice. thanks..:)

I'm sure I saw a pic somewhere of a head in velvet that had been preserved, and that's what I wanted to do..just for my own little "collection" of heads....., they aint a particulary spectacular antler...in fact, they are just run of the mill buck antlers...no medal or anything....

There is a buck on the land with a rather nice set of antlers, but I'll wait till they are clean...watch this, it'll read this and scarper...LOL..:)

I actually supply a taxidermist with crows, so, will ask him about preserving the velvet..if he can help me, I'm sure he will..:)

Sako, Gorgeous heads there mate, VERY well done...:)

I'll let you all know what the chap says...:)

The person who joked about formayldehide was correct. Clean of the skull as normal, except wrap the velvet antlers in tin foil and ensure no water what so ever gets on the velvet, once head is clean uncover velvet and sit the head upside down in formy for a few hours, then allow to dry naturally.........................Be carefull when using Formy, its nasty stuff!

You can inject something into the velvet to stop it rotting i remember a taxidermist saying.If not,strip the velvet and get to work colouring.The best method is do as the roe would,and start rubbing against branches to get some resin on it,but not on trees that matter of course.Then soak in a mixture of tea leaves and peat for a while,and then work on the trees again.If done right it looks very natural.The tine ends might not be blunt as it all depends on how close to shedding it was when shot.Heres two golds,one that was totally in velvet when shot and the other with a fair bit left and both came up for nice.

182_zps3906dbb1.jpg181_zpsef04cae5.jpg

That's a great job! I just painted mine but ill give that a go next time :good:

• 2 weeks later...

seen a few done in velvet and i really want one as they look super ,seen people use formayldehide also freeze dried and whilst in new zealand saw the most stunning fallow buck with huge palmated antlers done again in velvet out there they use sheep dip ,atb wayne

• 4 weeks later...

Found this on the" net".

How to Preserve Velvet Antlers
Posted on: 08/05/10
mail_icon.gif print_icon.gif share_16_16.png

If you want to properly preserve velvet antlers, you will have to inject & brush them with formaldehyde or some of the new less toxic chemicals (4 in 1 solution works great as does Knobloch's antler in velvet tan) as its easier to use however, both will work.

First, using rubber gloves take a razor blade and make small incisions at the tips of all points about 1/8". Next hang the antlers upside down, allowing the blood to drain. Starting at the bases inject the solution into the veins, you'll see and feel them that follow the antler. You will begin to see the solution force out blood towards the tips. Continue injecting the solution as you work the untreated blood towards the tips. When you reach the ends, make sure you've treated each and every veins on each antler. You'll quit injecting solution when the color of the solution is the same coming out as it was going in.
Let the antlers hang upside down overnight.

After the solution and blood has stopped dripping out the ends, use a very fine painter's brush and lightly brush the velvet with the solution. This will prevent bugs from entering the velvet that has no blood. After leaving the velvet to dry, lightly "brush" out the velvet to give it the natural look. Remember to wear eye protection and gloves when using formaldehyde or any other chemicals. Slow down and don't be in a hurry to finish. When done correctly, your trophy will last forever.