Shooting Pigeons

spoole76

I have been asked to clear about 100 pigeons from a building site at the weekend where pigeons are causing huge problems. I've been shooting rabbits for some time but have no experience with birds.

Any advice would be welcome. Are head shots best for pigeons ?

heads/neck shots will stop them there and then.

You can also take them by vital organ shots, but I only tend to do this if the bird has its back to me. Front chest shots then you might as well just let it fly off.

Assume these are ferrals.....if so, make sure that you have a multi shot, use heavy pelets, I like bisley magnums for close in ferral control.

With ferrals, they are stupid.............you can hit one.............they will take off,,,,,,fly around and land back in the same spot..........they are not like woodies at all..............

Enjoy.

hi now i am a new hear. i had a grate risulets on loggen penitrater the larger grane pelleits for wood pigens this year not good at long rang the pelleit drops to much get on the lager hever pellits for closes rang. good luck

ps my spelleing **** :good:

hi now i am a new hear. i had a grate risulets on loggen penitrater the larger grane pelleits for wood pigens this year not good at long rang the pelleit drops to much get on the lager hever pellits for closes rang. good luck

ps my spelleing **** :lol:

Theres nowt wrong with your spelling..................You are "Dutch" aint you...... :lol:

Welcome aboard..

Hi guys, need to some more advice.

Went to shoot the pigeons today but its not quite a building site, its a large building thats being re-developed. The building itseld has pigeons all over it and the new roof that recently went on is completely covered in pigeon waste.

The problem is that it is surrounded by occupied houses so I am very concerned about shooting there. He says that the neighbours are fine as the pigeons have been causing them problems too. It basically a new road and people have only just moved in.

If i was to shoot a would only be a few yards from this road.

The guy wants to know what options he has to remove this pigeons, his happy to just shoot them himself.

Any ideas ?

Steve

Personally I doubt I would shoot there by the sounds of it (hard to comment without seeing it) but there are lots of anti-pigeon devices which can be bought for the building. Just look at say Cutty sark train station in London....its got rows of the plastic spikes and the pigeons keep away because they can't land there.

-Andrew

"It is an offence to fire an airgun within 50 feet of the centre of a public highway, If by doing so you cause any member of the public using that highway to be injured, interrupted or endangered. This applies even if you are on private property adjacent the highway. Public highways include roads, bridleways and public footpaths."

That is a direct quote, the implication is that you can shoot within 50ft if you can't be seen or heard by anyone. Be careful though.

This does seem to be one for careful consideration, as has been said there are literally hundreds of companies out there in the business of pigeon control who sell all sorts of gizmo's that might be more appropriate.

"It is an offence to fire an airgun within 50 feet of the centre of a public highway, If by doing so you cause any member of the public using that highway to be injured, interrupted or endangered. This applies even if you are on private property adjacent the highway. Public highways include roads, bridleways and public footpaths."

That is a direct quote, the implication is that you can shoot within 50ft if you can't be seen or heard by anyone. Be careful though.

This does seem to be one for careful consideration, as has been said there are literally hundreds of companies out there in the business of pigeon control who sell all sorts of gizmo's that might be more appropriate.

Thanks for that clarification. There are also loads of companies out there that will help sue your *** off if you get it wrong / injure or upset some one.

Justme

PS just thought you could shoot right next to the M ways then if its from the center of highway.... Very odd.

Hi guys, need to some more advice.

Went to shoot the pigeons today but its not quite a building site, its a large building thats being re-developed. The building itseld has pigeons all over it and the new roof that recently went on is completely covered in pigeon waste.

The problem is that it is surrounded by occupied houses so I am very concerned about shooting there. He says that the neighbours are fine as the pigeons have been causing them problems too. It basically a new road and people have only just moved in.

If i was to shoot a would only be a few yards from this road.

The guy wants to know what options he has to remove this pigeons, his happy to just shoot them himself.

Any ideas ?

Steve

Is this "guy" the owner or occupier of the site? If not then you will not be an authorised person to shoot these pigeons, make sure that he is legit or you could be in trouble. :no:

hi, hope I can help a little here, dont shoot them unless you work for a pest control firm, the team I work for get asked this all the time,

shooting in a public area can ONLY be done at night

POLICE must be informed that a pigeon cull is taking place

START and END times must be quoted

there must be only ONE shooter, and One lamper/collector of culled pigeons

shooter must hold a MARKSMANSHIP certificate and be INSURED

HOLLOW POINT pellets MUST be used to stop ricochet

culled pigeons must be taken away by a waste transfer firm and incinerated

you must be in reciept of such paperwork from waste removal firm

depending on the location the police may deem it nesessary to close off ajoining roads, this sort of cull cannot be sorted in a day, its a lengthy process getting all the right information from different public sectors, this makes it COSTLY, which is why he may have asked you to do it, thinking he can save ££££££'s

BUT this would/could end up costing you very much more

you could try giving this guy a quote on "live" capture and removal if you wanted, pre bait and area over a few days, then introduce a large live trap, carry on baiting/capture and just ring their necks, again though, make sure members of public cant see you culling the pigeon's cos you'll always get one that phones the RSPCA or RSPB saying your being cruel, and again you can get put in the $hit

Who said to shoot them??

Best way is to trap them :P

Then shoot them :lol::lol: :lol:some Pest control firms would look at which method would make the most profit for them no more no less :o Some of these so called pest control firms are nothing but rip off merchants :no: If shooting in a public place can only be done at night then please tell me why the pest control firm that charge around £500 a visit to cull seagulls on a industrial estate where I was working the other week were shooting during the daytime??

Who said to shoot them??

Best way is to trap them :lol:

Then shoot them :lol: :o :lol:some Pest control firms would look at which method would make the most profit for them no more no less :lol: Some of these so called pest control firms are nothing but rip off merchants :P If shooting in a public place can only be done at night then please tell me why the pest control firm that charge around £500 a visit to cull seagulls on a industrial estate where I was working the other week were shooting during the daytime??

shooting seagulls? is that all right? I thought it was frowned upon on this forum, or even mentioning it :no:

why is it looked upon that my advice starts yet another slanging match over pest control firms, I was trying to give some helpful advice to the person who started this post, and excuse me if I cant read propely but his first post said "ARE HEAD SHOTS BEST" so I presumed he was gonna shoot them?? or do you think he meant chuck stones at them??

you say most pest control firms are rip off's, well your prob right, but just like every other buisness out there, they are there to make money, from those that dont want to get there hands dirty doing it themselves(most big coperative firms)

you say seagulls were being shot in the daytime, few points to look at here, 1st could be they were the local council pest control(they can do it daytime) or that as it was an industrial estate rather than a public housing area the laws are different, or maybe they were a rip off firm who did'nt give a ****

but we wernt talking about them, I was just trying to give some helpful advice :no: