crows

davelid

Thats great, I however had a real **** day. went out to the clay grounds this am which was not bad then decided to go rook shooting where I have had some realy good shoots preveously. The next door farmer was drilling a huge field and the rooks were tormenting him all afternoon. Only one came in range of my decoys which I missed lol.

Thanks Dave, I was going to ask what your secret was, I'm having a dickens of a job getting near the corvids on my permission (and the farmer has specifically asked for them to be thinned). I have been putting my decoys out quite close together. I shall have to try spacing them wider. Many thanks for sharing the benefit of your experience :good:

Thanks Dave, I was going to ask what your secret was, I'm having a dickens of a job getting near the corvids on my permission (and the farmer has specifically asked for them to be thinned). I have been putting my decoys out quite close together. I shall have to try spacing them wider. Many thanks for sharing the benefit of your experience :good:

Also try a lid on your hide or shoot under a tree and put your pattern down wind so they are looking at your decoys not your hide as the come

In.

i shoot nothing but crows and pigeons year in year out, i can tell you that spacing the deeks is not your problem! If the birds are close enough to see thers no room are they not shootable?

They know your there id say, you could line the deeks up and they would still come in if they think its safe! Crows are the cleverest animal in britain today, but also the dummest at times,

How close to the roost are you shooting! How often have you shot that bit of ground?

this time of year is not the easiest time to go at them!

what are the birds doing when your decoying them?

Do they imediatly get height and circle or just stay away, veer off before getting in range?

Remember the jobs always easier if you know where they wanna feed and get there ready for the first feed!

I find aswell the more birds shot at and missed kills the day fast, to keep em coming they must not see you, kill as many as you can otherwise they click on, seing birds flare is very offputting to an already wary bird! Plus shot birds going down look like a bird landing to a crow over the next feild! bouncers dont work infact dont bother with any decoying machines iv tried em all with. Not a great deal of success! If uou do use a flapper only use it on passing birds, one or 2 flaps then stop! He should turn! Do not flap flap flap as bird are already coming, this looks like a bird taking flight (could mean danger).

These are some of the things iv learnt over the years! Also never fire at good sized groups of birds you want them in singles if they are in flocks there most probably rooks!

atb

fabarm

Edited by fabarm gamma boy

Keep absolutely still when birds approach move your eye not your head .were I was shooting I hadn't shot crows there before but thay was on the field when I got there so I had a go . Tried my magnet thay didn't like it so put it away and just peged the dead and thay were coming in 2 and 4

Thanks gents that's extremely helpful.

They don't even come within range (closest ~150m). I suspect the hide standing out like the bulldogs proverbials since there is no leaf on the hedges is the greatest issue. I will have to look at placing better. I've only shot the particular field twice, but the farmers Brother In Law has served as a Crow scarer in the general area almost every weekend for over a year (without hitting hardly anything).

I don't know where they roost (but not anywhere on my permission), not least as I have only shot towards the end of the day so far. Will recce better and try shooting at first light

Thanks gents that's extremely helpful.

They don't even come within range (closest ~150m). I suspect the hide standing out like the bulldogs proverbials since there is no leaf on the hedges is the greatest issue. I will have to look at placing better. I've only shot the particular field twice, but the farmers Brother In Law has served as a Crow scarer in the general area almost every weekend for over a year (without hitting hardly anything).

I don't know where they roost (but not anywhere on my permission), not least as I have only shot towards the end of the day so far. Will recce better and try shooting at first light

sounds like the farmers brother inlaw has educated your quarry sir!! And made your job a billion times harder ,not good

Edited by fabarm gamma boy