Poaching 'a problem' in Warwickshire

djgeoff

so you don't pick them but rather carry on lamping, how do you know that you have not left any injured?

Honest answer, i dont.

We do our best to ensure its dead

but your best doesn't include checking to see the quarry has been dispatched properly?

you'd be amazed how few are left the next day, foxes badgers, carion and BOP all like a bit and ultimately dead rabbits don't eat wheat so farmers quite often like to see them dead. My mate who farms is one of the worst for leaving them simply so he can get on faster and shoot the next one

As a farmer myself i would not like it in any of my grass pastures, especially near silage time, a neighbour of mine had some lads shoot alot and claim to have picked up, turns out they had shot over 80, and left them, only to be picked up by the chopper 10 days later, led to botulism in his silage feed, loosing 15 head of cattle, roughly £30,000 to his farm. And this fella is talking about shooting 30+ in a night, dont think they would all be gone the next day. As a farmer and shooting man i know the importance of pest control, and that pickin will make a smaller bag, but there is nothing stopping you, having finished shooting an area for the night, having another ride around and trying to pick up as many as possible.

Im afraid you better pack shooting in.

Have you never shot a pigeon and feathers come off but the bird flys away?

Or pulled a shot at a rabbit and hit it in a leg and its made it down its hole?

NO? Obviously you dont shoot then.

We do our best to ensure its dead, if its moving after the first shot we will shot it again.

But i shoot purely to eliminate the rabbits from the farms i shoot, diffrence between me and you, il shoot 70+ you will shoot 20.

Btw. Not many need 2 shots.

How do you know if you dont bother to check 'em ? :no: I shoot plenty thanks and of course I've had the odd flier or runner but thats not what your post was referring to is it

As a farmer myself i would not like it in any of my grass pastures, especially near silage time, a neighbour of mine had some lads shoot alot and claim to have picked up, turns out they had shot over 80, and left them, only to be picked up by the chopper 10 days later, led to botulism in his silage feed, loosing 15 head of cattle, roughly £30,000 to his farm. And this fella is talking about shooting 30+ in a night, dont think they would all be gone the next day. As a farmer and shooting man i know the importance of pest control, and that pickin will make a smaller bag, but there is nothing stopping you, having finished shooting an area for the night, having another ride around and trying to pick up as many as possible.

No one can argue with this :)

I've gain a few of my perms thanks to idiots leaving rabbits where shot and being kicked off .

If you don't want them why dont you just throw them in the muck hole