Shooting Dogs

mickyh

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont know mate,if it came where i had to shoot a dog,and its on my fac stating i can by law,where would i stand in court

I am not sure why would anyone take the chance that didn't have it specified on their FAC.

Quote.

DOGS LIVESTOCK AND GAME BASC.

At sometime or another many farmers and landowners will have experienced problems with

dogs on their land disturbing their livestock or chasing and attacking game. It is a commonly

held belief that a person has a right to shoot a dog if it is worrying livestock but this is not

necessarily the case. It is better to seek a resolution with the owner of a problem dog than to

immediately take matters into your own hands.

Issues of dogs on land and livestock are complex. This guidance sheet aims to clarify the civil

and criminal law relating to dogs.

Edited by ordnance

on my fac it states i can shoot dogs if its worrying live stock,or if someone is being attacked by a dog,as anybody got this on there fac?

On mine it says I can shoot animals for the protection of other animals and humans.

And for the person that said gamekeepers are not covered by basc insurance I can categorically say they are and for more activities than normal basc members

On mine it says I can shoot animals for the protection of other animals and humans.

And for the person that said gamekeepers are not covered by basc insurance I can categorically say they are and for more activities than normal basc members

Wrong on two counts.

Firstly you are quoting the standard expanding ammunition condition that we all have. This is a generic condition that states what expanding ammunition may be used for. It does not authorise what you may shoot with your firearm/s. What you may shoot with your rifle/s is listed in your rifle conditions.

Secondly BASC Gamekeeper members are only covered for recreational shooting. I quote from the BASC website:-

NB your insurance covers the recreational activities of wildfowling, stalking, game shooting, vermin shooting, clay pigeon shooting, target shooting, airgunning gundog working and training, conservation work, angling, hawking, ferreting.

Quote.

Use of firearms

Using a rifle to shoot a dog worrying livestock may cause the shooter to end up in more trouble

than expected. Firearm Certificates bind the use of a firearm by additional conditions, which

usually only permit their use on specific game and pest species or for target shooting.

The police will rarely agree to add suitable conditions to allow the shooting of dogs when there

is a requirement, as they feel they will be open to criticism. Subsequently if a person is faced

with shooting a dog with a firearm they may be prosecuted for failing to comply with their

certificate conditions. The police should not be prosecuting cases where the Animals Act 1971

defence applies, and where the decision to shoot the dog was in extremis i.e. a last resort in

difficult circumstances.

I think most folk have summed it up pretty well, it is a last resort and not something to be taken lightly esp if owner is nearby, however in some cases it is neccessary. Shooting with an FAC can be a minefield but some police can put it on if there is a history or liklieyhood of it being needed, ie sheep farmer near to town/puublic walk's

I know a farmer who shot a couple of dog's from a village (don't know the whole correct story, if there was a history/bad blood previously? but he can be a strange fella who does upset folk) but shortly after that, the post man, 2 sales rep's and 2 delivery drivers all had multiple punctures in their motors after visiting his farm :whistling: he was the only 1 that never got a puncture. Also think a few gates mysteriously opened throu the nite for quite a while after that.

Some people have no idea the damage the're pets are doing as there only 'chasing' and not biting esp at this time of year.

A possible different approach take some gory bloody photo's/stillborn/miscarriages (or get them of web) and attach to signs with full graphic details, possibly asking rather than telling them to keep dogs on lead 'under close control' as this is the damage they have caused by chasing/stress even put monetry ammount threatening to bring them the bill.for lost lambs etc

I seriously doubt a sign purely saying dogs will be shot would make a difference and would just make u look like the typical 'Oi get off my land type farmer' or worse a nutter who's wanting an excuse to shoot a dog, wheras when u go with the alternative info approach it might work, but to be fair if somone has already been warned numerous times i doubt any sign would make a difference.

Would it be possible to fence the dogs out of his fields? combination locks on gates etc I know a pain but might be an easier aproach

So then Mickyh what I now wanna know is after 3 pages and 60 comments, are yer gonna turn the dogs to snot or not...lol!

Didn't get to see the Farmer this morning,so I'll try this week.

However I will NOT be shooting any Dogs after reading all of these reply's !

I will mention that two people walking the land with guns might be a good deterrent to stop anyone running their dogs on the land.

Might be a win win situation?

Big thanks to all who have taken time to reply,some interesting opinions out there.

Mick

Wrong on two counts.

Firstly you are quoting the standard expanding ammunition condition that we all have. This is a generic condition that states what expanding ammunition may be used for. It does not authorise what you may shoot with your firearm/s. What you may shoot with your rifle/s is listed in your rifle conditions.

Secondly BASC Gamekeeper members are only covered for recreational shooting. I quote from the BASC website:-

NB your insurance covers the recreational activities of wildfowling, stalking, game shooting, vermin shooting, clay pigeon shooting, target shooting, airgunning gundog working and training, conservation work, angling, hawking, ferreting.

I suggest you read page 32 of the policy document that should clear it up for you, as you clearly are not a basc gamekeeper member

And secondly I am not quoting my ammunition conditions

I suggest you read page 32 of the policy document that should clear it up for you, as you clearly are not a basc gamekeeper member

And secondly I am not quoting my ammunition conditions

My apologies for not expanding and making myself clear.

What I should have said is that a gamekeeper member of BASC would not be covered by BASC insurance if, in the case we are discussing, he shot a dog for a next door farmer for reward from that farmer.

I had a similar situation, was asked to shoot some dogs attacking sheep, owner of sheep had phoned police who had told them to shoot the dog or find someone with to do so...... I declined and suggested they get SGC and a cheap gun and do it themselves as I live 30+min away I wouldn't be able to get there fast enough to prevent the damage. They weren't farmers as such but had a small flock to graze