AGL Broomhills

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, what have they done in the refurb?

Have they expanded outside the wood to the fields (like it used to be)?

At 33p (or 40p) a pop it ought to be something decent. I mean, the A1 charges 30p (which is pricey) for somethings that's, well, OK, but nothing special.

I was looking at their prices for members, the cartridge deals don't seem to be that good (compared to what I've got from Park Street) - it's my birthday soon and I was considering joining and seeing if they would consider changing the 'gifts' for a discount on the gun fitting. I have got quite a collection of plates and pads for my hatstand - I might as well put them good use.

It still seems a lot - I suppose I'll feel better when A1 realizes that it can away with a(nother?) price hike.

What is Bob doing for a box of 25 Eley First's in fibre? I bet it's not £3.95. What's he charging for a slab or 1,000? Again, I can't believe he's cheaper than the member rate at AGL.

Being able to buy just the carts you need for your round of x clays is quite handy, especially if you can't afford to get them cheaper by buying 1,000 every time or don't have the ability to store them at home.

As well as the cheaper carts and clays at weekends you also get 100 clays and discounted lessons. If you go a few times at the weekends you'll easily get your membership back.

Pop up and have a chat with them and see what they'll do. They're very welcoming and you get 25 free clays on your first visit so you can try out a few stands and see what you think. Oh, and there's always some biscuits/cakes and a drink waiting.

The ground is significantly better than the more recent years there and the stands even more so. The grouse butt is nearing completion and they're working on the other tower to give another 4 or 5 traps higher up. As of last weekend there are 9 stands up and running. I think there wil be over a dozen stands there in time.

Compared to A1 I'd say it's better and more varied and given the member rates it's also cheaper so not sure how they can raise their price of 32p a clay. That said I do need to get down there and see what it's like compared to a few months back.

...Compared to A1 I'd say it's better and more varied and given the member rates it's also cheaper so not sure how they can raise their price of 32p a clay. That said I do need to get down there and see what it's like compared to a few months back.

The proof's in the ... whatever. I'll have to get down there next week. I've never really liked the A1 (atmosphere nor stands), but it's so close to me, and always preferred Broomhills/AGL/Whatever it's calling itself - even though it's a bit of a schlep.

EDIT: And as I'm a diserning hatstand owner I tend to use the brand of cartridges "el cheapo".

Edited by DrBlox

The clays at the A1 are 32p each and have been for a long time.

When you purchase clays at the A1 you will receive 10% free added to your requirements, this is to cover breakages of which there are very few. this brings the price down to 29p.

The targets have just been changed, and changes are now planned to be on a more regular basis.

Drblox, please let me know when you are planning to visit the A1 again, and I will try to meet you there.

You can also purchase cartridges from as little as £4.10 per carton, £164.00 per 1000

Edited by bakerboy