Firing pins and cartridge safety?

Wa02ger

Good evening all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the safety of my Huglu 103de. The other day while out with my friend i noticed that as I opened my gun both my cartridges had a small dent on them. (before anyone says no I hadn't fired them) :-). It looks as if the firing pins maybe resting on them or something along these lines. My friend told me that it could be dangerous as it could go off while closing the gun or if the gun is knocked/jolted slightly. Can anyone shed some light on this situation and what the issue could be as I don't particularly want to use the gun until I know what this could be and how it can be resolved.

Many thank in advance, Matt

I'm sure someone with more knowledge or experience will answer your question better , but logically if when closing the gun it puts dents in the primers it could also cause an accidental discharge, have you had the firing pins changed or do you know if they have been changed before you owned the gun could be wrong pins fitted?

There's no harm getting it checked but its certainly common place with a lot of military weapons.

... so in short, yes I would take the 'risk'.

Sporting shotguns aren't military weapons though. Military auto and semi-auto guns do it because the firing pin continues to move forwards after the bolt has closed on the round. They are designed with this in mind and military primers are usually quite hard.

Closing a shotgun with the firing pins standing proud is not a good idea as they are not designed to do this.

It should be looked at.

J.

Sporting shotguns aren't military weapons though. Military auto and semi-auto guns do it because the firing pin continues to move forwards after the bolt has closed on the round. They are designed with this in mind and military primers are usually quite hard.

Closing a shotgun with the firing pins standing proud is not a good idea as they are not designed to do this.

It should be looked at.

J.

That depends on the weapon. A rotating bolt, gas operated weapon will, a recoil operated pistol won't.

I'm not saying don't get it checked, just being realistic.

Greg.

That depends on the weapon. A rotating bolt, gas operated weapon will, a recoil operated pistol won't.

I'm not saying don't get it checked, just being realistic.

Greg.

Why will one do it but not the other? They each cause the pin to move forward a bit when the bolt comes to a sudden stop. Normal physics tells you that unless you have a massively strong sping stopping it doing it which isn't usually the case.

I've seen recoil operated pistols do it.

J.

This isn't common in military weapons. Are you an armourer? If so I suggest you get you FFP gauge out and check said weapons.

Both of the above posters don't have a clue on the weapon systems and the way they are constructed. If they did they would be having the current argument and no doubt be telling you which systems have fixed FP's and there is no spring what so ever oh let me think GPMG. What happens in the SA80 rotating through 22.5 deg and how this is done through the action of the cam stud blah blah blah

I could go on but I cant be bothered.....

OP I Sugest you give it to your local gun smith, its only a small job of checking the firing pins and possibly stoning them down to required length in keeping with the profile.

Happy shooting.

Thoroughly enjoying this thread, come on Marine, explain yourself!

Ha! I'll have a go mate but no doubt everyone else knows best...

This isn't common in military weapons. Are you an armourer? If so I suggest you get you FFP gauge out and check said weapons.

Both of the above posters don't have a clue on the weapon systems and the way they are constructed. If they did they would be having the current argument and no doubt be telling you which systems have fixed FP's and there is no spring what so ever oh let me think GPMG. What happens in the SA80 rotating through 22.5 deg and how this is done through the action of the cam stud blah blah blah

I could go on but I cant be bothered.....

OP I Sugest you give it to your local gun smith, its only a small job of checking the firing pins and possibly stoning them down to required length in keeping with the profile.

Happy shooting.

Not an armourer mate, I haven't rapped my tits in yet and resigned myself to eating donuts. It is my job to know about weapons and their mechanisms though... but no doubt you'll attempt to belittle that with your superior knowledge, I mean I am impressed by your thorough knowledge of the rotational angle of 22.5 degrees and that it is done via the cam stud! Oh hang on, we teach that to week 1 recruits....

Why would I want to start going into detail about an open bolt weapon such as the GPMG? It's an entirely different mechanism and irrelevant to a shotgun. In fact, I'm surprised you've mentioned it.

Why will one do it but not the other? They each cause the pin to move forward a bit when the bolt comes to a sudden stop. Normal physics tells you that unless you have a massively strong sping stopping it doing it which isn't usually the case.

I've seen recoil operated pistols do it.

J.

With a rotating bolt system the firing pin will naturally come to rest on the back of the cartridge when locked so that when the hammer strikes it is in the correct position.

With pistols such as the Browning, Sig 226/229 series the bolt is fixed in the top slide and the firing pin has a spring to keep it under tension so when the hammer strikes it protrudes from the firing pin hole (as per a conventional bolt action rifle and also shotgun etc). Not all pistols are the same but given the compact nature of a pistol they will generally work on that system or similar. For instance the Glock 17 has no hammer but it does have an intrinsic multi safety mechanism that means the pin is retracted and pre-loaded via a spring under recoil then is released when the trigger is pulled.

Again, I'm not saying don't get it checked!! I'm on the range weekly, if not daily at work with multiple weapon systems and see examples of the question raised by the original poster all the time, therefore I don't go into a flat spin when I see a round with a small mark on the back from a firing pin.

With due respect to all, I'm always keen to learn but don't try and make me appear to be stupid or incompetent.

Greg.

Edited by Gregthegreat

Recoil operated just so you know its known as blowback in ref to pistol such as the L9A1

So as you know the browning L9A1 for instance I suggest you get on TDOL go have a look at AESP. 1005-E-210-201
This will list the mechanical safeties and applied, along with how it functions from loading firing e.t.c

Im sure from there you can the work out how the firing pin work within the slide and come's through the breech face and what affect it has and what the spring does and what affect it would have if its two strong or weak, take a look in the inspection standards if need be (It doesn't have a bolt) Feel free to look in the 711 parts cat and send me the NSN for a bolt. Im sure you know a few things about a rifle/pistol etc with some C**p that you have read in a skill at arms book.

But to be honest what you have said has no relevance to what the OP has asked about.

Oh hang on, we teach that to week 1 recruits.... I Guess your in day 4 then?

I Think you should stick to field stripping and getting a pull through stuck once in a while. Pointing it down range and saying bang.

Oh an donuts are fab yum yum, But im more in to JAFFA cakes (just another fat f* armourer) which of the people I have meet on the forum know im far from.

Edited by LancsGunsmith

Recoil operated just so you know its known as blowback in ref to pistol such as the L9A1

So as you know the browning L9A1 for instance I suggest you get on TDOL go have a look at AESP. 1005-E-210-201

This will list the mechanical safeties and applied, along with how it functions from loading firing e.t.c

Im sure from there you can the work out how the firing pin work within the slide and come's through the breech face and what affect it has and what the spring does and what affect it would have if its two strong or weak, take a look in the inspection standards if need be (It doesn't have a bolt) Feel free to look in the 711 parts cat and send me the NSN for a bolt. Im sure you know a few things about a rifle/pistol etc with some C**p that you have read in a skill at arms book.

But to be honest what you have said has no relevance to what the OP has asked about.

Oh hang on, we teach that to week 1 recruits.... I Guess your in day 4 then?

I Think you should stick to field stripping and getting a pull through stuck once in a while. Pointing it down range and saying bang.

Oh an donuts are fab yum yum, But im more in to JAFFA cakes (just another fat f* armourer) which of the people I have meet on the forum know im far from.

Pick your toys back up mate. I wasn't insulting you. In my Corps the armourers branch is a tech trade and not a frontline job - hence my comment.

Before you go jumping to conclusions about people not having a clue (as in your original post) just spare a thought that you may not be the only one with an ounce of knowledge.

I'm really not very interested in replying to the rest of your post as its just getting personal and petty.

Regards

Greg.