Legal Aid to be cut for firearm cases...

This is some worrying information which will impact firearm owners going to court.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/538267/Legal_aid_reforms_impact_fieldsports.html

If justice will be auctioned of to the highest bidder and solicitors are encouraged for their defendants to plead guiolty where does that leave you? Plus shouldn't they be more knowledgeable about firearms law so that they can defend their client better. How much is a Tesco lawyer going to know really?

I think everybody should write a complaint to legal aid here and make their feelings known:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/complaints/laa

I'm not sure you should be encouraging this one mungler he smacks of being a really dodgy re incarnation :lol:

I wonder who is encouraging who.....oh but I digress form the topic. So about that legal aid let me get this straight, have guns and you're poor. Some neighbour next to your permission wants to harass you, calls police. You get charged for some obscure crime, have to settle with a solicitor who wants you to plead guilty....oh what could go wrong eh?

A lot of the RSPCA cases that fail now will be a lot harder to defend after this. That may stop the pressure on the rspca from the press who have recently been wakening up to their frivolous prosecutions.

Like this one on Tuesday for instance when they brought a case against a couple of chaps rescueing their terrier.

The RSPCA has abandoned a high profile Hunting Act prosecution against the Avon Vale hunt on the first day of a scheduled seven-day trial.

The charity had spent £50,000 bringing the private prosecution to Chippenham Magistrates Court, but it failed on Tuesday 7 May when district judge Simon Cooper described it as “not a strong case”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10042194/RSPCA-criticised-by-judge-for-wasting-valuable-court-time-by-calling-off-Hunting-Act-prosecution-at-11th-hour.html

there is more to that one charlie without getting into things, they weren't on land they had permission to be on and had let the dog go to ground. The hunt had expressly been told not to go on to that land by the owner and they didn't go when told to clear off by the owner who then called the police etc they got off rather well all things considered

I realise that but thought it another example of the RSPCA passion for bringing fruitless private prosecutions. I really exasperates me that people like my 90 year old mother donate sums of money to them thinking that it all goes to saving and treating sick and unwanted pets.

I realise that but thought it another example of the RSPCA passion for bringing fruitless private prosecutions. I really exasperates me that people like my 90 year old mother donate sums of money to them thinking that it all goes to saving and treating sick and unwanted pets.

thats my thoughts as well they do a lot of good much needed work and then try and have this vendetta about hunting. They need to stick to domestic animals rather than try and get political over wild ones.

This case i've mixed views on as there is more to it but really it should have been the police and CPS bringing the case not the RSPCA. On another side when you look at what they do with regard to organised dog fighting a lot of the issue is that is they don't prosecute privately then no one will.

Charlie T is correct, that at the moment BASC do not have a legal expenses policy but we do self fund legal appeals using the same criteria as any legal expenses policy currently on the market.

Having said that we are looking at a legal expenses policy that will be unique as far as we know within the UK market that we are plan to launch soon. In the first place this will be an additional premium over and above the usual BASC membership fee.

Having said that, our legal expenses policy, whether self-funded or funded via this new insurance product will still stick to the basic criteria of ALL legal expenses policies that there has to be, in the view of the lawyers, a 50% or better chance of winning in court.

David