decoys

lurgan wildfowler

Lead is very pricy stuff and it might be worth visiting your local scrap metal dealer and make your own decoy anchors. Fishing leads are around £1.50 each. Remember the stuff on the local church roof is out of bounds. :no::lol:

Somebody had already nicked the lead off of our church roof :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

All my duck decoys have about 5'-6' of line on them with a strip of lead about 10" long by 1" wide on the end. The line wraps around the keel and the lead around the neck of the decoy, it keeps everything tangle free for setting up in the dark. If you need more weight for tidal shooting just cut the strips a bit longer. If you find lead at a scrap dealer its just a case of cutting it in to strips and punching a hole in one end, it should be cheaper than pre cast leads from a shop. Just an idea.

Went down to the welder in the yard an got a few strips of old metal an lead so I'll get all the decoys sorted the night I use a thin rope I got at a game fair years ago.. I got a old yard brush an strapped the end of a coat hanger on it the brush is about 4 foot an hooks round the neck of the decoy saves having to wade to the decoys.. Anyone do this too?

For coastal work in tidal waters I use a winder made from ply, 4 x 10 inches with 'V' s cut in both ends. To this is tied 40 yd of crab line with a large split ring running on the line to which a sea fishing lead is attached. A decoy is tied to the end of the crab line, with another 3-4 ft length of crab line tied to that for attaching a second decoy.

Each pair can be thrown out over water about 20 yds, or are placed out on the mud before the tide comes. The running lead allows the decoys to rise with the tide. The winder is pushed into the salting top for easy retrieval of the decoys which are wound back onto the winder.

The same set up can be used in shallow wadable water, or on ponds and pits.

Edited by Penelope

I'll see what I can do, although it is very simply. A winder, a line with a running split ring & lead, a decoy.

A bit of slack needs to be pulled off to allow for the rise in tide. Best set up in pairs for generally work, or singles if you need to chuck them out as far as you can.

IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/34i4v0i.jpg[/img]

Any chance of a pic of that sounds like a good setup penelope?

Edited by Penelope

There is a knack to throwing a pair,(hold the line just above the lead decoy with the weight up against the decoy in your left hand, and then hold the bit of line between the decoys, then swing your body back and round, then sharply forward and release - very much like throwing a cast net), and you need to pull line off the winder first.

Painting the winders white helps no end when looking for them in the dark.

Looks like a crackin set up I'll put a pair of teal togather after work see how it goes
Thanks

Edited by Penelope

Generally I put 4 or 5 on a fixed line, and put out two or three lines. Each line has a large lead at the end and simple loops tied in the at 1 metre intervals, each decoy has a large sea fishing snap swivel attached via a split ring to the front, using these I clip them onto the loops in the main line.The line itself is attached at the free end to the bank. They are rigged this way so if the tide brings any flotsam you at least have a chance of getting your decoys back before they are dragged out into the North sea.

If it is water with no flow then I guess rigging up singles or pairs would be best. Just have a lead on a line to throw over them for retrieval, works very well.

Have a look at the image on post 14. No need to throw anything for retrieval, just wind them in.

How would you get the lines you use out into an already flooding creek or a standing body of water?

Generally I put 4 or 5 on a fixed line, and put out two or three lines. Each line has a large lead at the end and simple loops tied in the at 1 metre intervals, each decoy has a large sea fishing snap swivel attached via a split ring to the front, using these I clip them onto the loops in the main line.The line itself is attached at the free end to the bank. They are rigged this way so if the tide brings any flotsam you at least have a chance of getting your decoys back before they are dragged out into the North sea.

If it is water with no flow then I guess rigging up singles or pairs would be best. Just have a lead on a line to throw over them for retrieval, works very well.

Get a few on the Blackwater estuary on the Essex coast.

I used to shoot on a fresh marsh on the Crouch estuary in Essex that had a big freshwater fleet running down the middle a good few years ago and there used to be big numbers of pinnies on there. One evening I had Pintail settling in the decoys with the rest of the flock spiralling up to 70 yards high. An amazing site.

Edited by Penelope

Have a look at the image on post 14. No need to throw anything for retrieval, just wind them in.

How would you get the lines you use out into an already flooding creek or a standing body of water?

I only really shoot over foreshore so I normally put decoys out before water reaches them, otherwise it is quite simple to let the flow drag out the decoys out. Throw the lead out, drop the decoys one at a time in the edge and the strength of the current pulls them out in line with the anchor lead

2245923839_60014dc59f_z.jpg

Not the best of photos as the tide had stopped running, but the group of four were dragged out into the middle of the creek by the current.

Edited by scolopax