remington versa max

abrown

any one got one or had 1 looking at possible buying one, are they a good solid gun The gun would be used for pigeons and a little wildfowling it would be replacing a A400 unico as this gun just cant put up with wildfowling in Scotland

thanks ant

I have had one a little over two months now, it cycles all loads i have tried so far without any problems, it has the softest recoil of any semi auto i have ever owned and i have owned most. The stock adjusts to a perfect fit and the general feel handling of this gun is fantastic, its no lightweight compared to some but for a magnum it is perfect in my opinion.

I have patterned the gun extensively and found the pro bore system chokes acceptable but not exactly what i wanted so i ordered a Terror 700 choke for the gun and it has improved on the pattern percentages compared to the standard chokes.

I think the versamax is a very good shotgun and i cant see why they are not a lot more popular over here than they are. Time will tell i suppose!

Not got one myself was considering one but looking at the reviews from over the pond put me off .

Seems very mixed reviews with poor quality control issues a recall of the guns due to out of spec hammers and poor build quality .

Some of these issues have perhaps now been sorted , it seems that all semi autos have pros and cons.

Unless you are buying a 10 bore, my choice would not be a Remington as a wildfowling tool.

No disrespect to those who own them but the beretta extrema would be a good choice or Benelli supernova 3.5''

Older Remingtons were great fowling guns but not made the same now.

I have had no serious issues with mine, however the forend would not tighten fully but that is thankfully now sorted. It has now had 2 seasons on the foreshore and is bombproof mechanically.

I think it is probably best you go feel one for yourself, people who have them will always be slightly biased as they have spent their hard earned on it, however i don't see why some people go out of their way to dissuade people from buying one and berate the product, even if they have had no experience with it, let alone owned one for any length of time.

I would also criticise that it does feel somewhat cheap, however no more so than another synthetic.

From my own experience, the main pro that it has going for it is the fact that it isn't cartridge fussy at all and has never failed to cycle, you could put thousands of rounds through it without its failing. It does have its shortcomings, quality control was an issue, but i would recommend one from my own experiences.

Anybody interested in learning about the versamax either with a view to owning one, or even those that want the dirt on this gun to dish out on the WWW should take a look at the link below.

Its all there the good and the bad from people who own and use them, it explains Remingtons responses to faults and customers feelings good and bad. In the uk we have edgar brothers to go through so perhaps the time could be longer for repairs here but it is to be expected.

I would just like to remind everyone that any mechanical object can malfunction and nothing ever designed or produced as ever been totally trouble free. Take a look draw your own conclusions i did!

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=244957

I have one and I cant recommend it enough. It cycles everything from 28gr upwards. [ I dont use anything lighter so it may well cycle lighter than this]

Myself and 3 other lads from our club use them without any problems. Its a cracking gun and the standard chokes pattern very well. Its perfectly balanced and swings lovely. Before this I used a NEW Browning A5 and Benelli SBE. The A5 had MAJOR cycling issues so swapped it for the Benelli. This was way to light for me kicked liked a mule and again didn`t cycle certain cartridges......so bought the Remington Versa Max. Its definately the best Semi I`ve owned and I`ve owned a few including Berettas.

Edited by Yoggy

How does the weight compare to a 11-87 Yoggy?

I've been considering a versa max as i'm getting rid of my 11-87.

Hi mate...As already stated its not as heavy as the 11-87. I tried both the 26 and 28in barrels and settled for the 28. The 26 didn`t swing as nice as the 28 and suited my style of shooting far better. The chokes are a little confusing at first but I`ve now sussed them out after checking the Remington website and getting Dave at the shop to double check them......"Turkey and Predator" = FULL/ "Pass shooting" = 1/2 "Over decoys = 1/4 and "Flooded timber = Improved Cylinder. So far I`ve used mine at Clays and Pigeons. I couldn`t be happier. The factory chokes actually pattern quite well after we tested them using a pattern plate. To date, I`ve not had one cycling issue so fingers crossed!. The gun itself is balanced very well and the overall finish I have no reason to complain. I went for the Duck blind pattern which is not to everyones cup of tea....but I like it. If you want to check it over or have a few shots with it before you decide on buying one you`re more than welcome to pop over mate....just let me know.

Hi mate...As already stated its not as heavy as the 11-87. I tried both the 26 and 28in barrels and settled for the 28. The 26 didn`t swing as nice as the 28 and suited my style of shooting far better. The chokes are a little confusing at first but I`ve now sussed them out after checking the Remington website and getting Dave at the shop to double check them......"Turkey and Predator" = FULL/ "Pass shooting" = 1/2 "Over decoys = 1/4 and "Flooded timber = Improved Cylinder. So far I`ve used mine at Clays and Pigeons. I couldn`t be happier. The factory chokes actually pattern quite well after we tested them using a pattern plate. To date, I`ve not had one cycling issue so fingers crossed!. The gun itself is balanced very well and the overall finish I have no reason to complain. I went for the Duck blind pattern which is not to everyones cup of tea....but I like it. If you want to check it over or have a few shots with it before you decide on buying one you`re more than welcome to pop over mate....just let me know.

I had been reading about Remingtons odd way of marking the chokes!

I'll drop you a message about it at some point thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not got one myself was considering one but looking at the reviews from over the pond put me off .

Seems very mixed reviews with poor quality control issues a recall of the guns due to out of spec hammers and poor build quality .

Some of these issues have perhaps now been sorted , it seems that all semi autos have pros and cons.

Well I bit the bullet and brought a Versa Max after all, at the end of the day it does not matter what gun you look for info on there are good and bad things said about them .

I cannot give much of a review as to date I have only had two shots with it , that was two pigeon in the bag though so dont think I will need to adjust the stock much if any.

It is a fair bit heavier than the 391 I had before it but thats not a bad thing if you are going to be shooting heavy loads.

The trigger pull is not a patch on the Beretta , far too heavy but no doubt i will get used to it , if not I will have it tweaked by a gunsmith .

despite my Beretta and the Versa max being 28" guns the Versa Max comes in around two inches longer than the Beretta, so you may need to bare that in mind.

Build quality is not nowhere as bad as I was led to believe , i do find the forend a little big for my liking but again I will get used to that.