What .17HMR do I buy ?

drewrix

Hello again

I now have my FAC though and am looking to buy a .17HMR .... does anyone have any experience with any make/model of this rifle and any particular sound moderators , scopes and rounds as I am not sure what to buy.

Many thanks

Drewrix

Rifle ANSHUTZ if you can afford one of the best, moderator ASE utra very good,ammo V MAX 17 grain ballistic tips.

There you are sorted but other people will have other ideas that is what i have and it is brilliant. :good::good::good::good:

Cheers Hawkeye .... is there any particular Anshutz model or do they only do 1 .... also what barrel length would you recommend ? .... is the shorter the better the accepted rule of thumb and do they come screw cut ready to take the moderator ? (I mainly hunt on foot but sometimes in the landy) How much will I expect to pay for this set up .... what sort of range can you safely take a rabbit ? Also I know there is always debate but can the .17HMR take a fox and if so at what maximum range is it safe to do so ?

Drewrix

Cheers Hawkeye .... is there any particular Anshutz model or do they only do 1 .... also what barrel length would you recommend ? .... is the shorter the better the accepted rule of thumb and do they come screw cut ready to take the moderator ? (I mainly hunt on foot but sometimes in the landy) How much will I expect to pay for this set up .... what sort of range can you safely take a rabbit ? Also I know there is always debate but can the .17HMR take a fox and if so at what maximum range is it safe to do so ?

Drewrix

15-17

Short barrel easier in the motor, they are screwcut from the factory at least mine was, price around £500.

ive shot rabbits out to 180yds some people have shot longer than that , Yes it can kill foxes i have shot a couple with mine max range 100 yds between the eye's. i now use a 223 for my fox shooting.

And before people start haveing a go about the 17HMR been used for foxes i have it written on my ticket for fox control as well as vermin. :good::good::good:

Mike

Do you have a picture of your anshutz ... I dont think I have ever seen one in the flesh !

Andrew

Look at my pic on my signature thats my HMR :good::)

also put one in sporting pictures :blush::lol:

I read in the BASC Mag that Savage have launched a new .17HMR with heavy barrel and a vented thumbhole stock. Maybe worth a look? Its anodd looking thing in my eyes, but hey what ever floats your boat.

Me, i'm sticking with my Sako Quad. :lol::lol:

What are peoples thoughts on Mods for these?

Any suggested makes?

Also I think I will be going with CZ for my first rifle, they seem to get good feed back and are value for money. Is there much differance between Varmint and American?

It will be mainly used for walked up lamping but also some of the back of a 4X4 if that makes a differance.

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry,

Theres only two moderators worth considering: SAK & ASE Utra.

The Sak is £25-30 light weight and fairly short and works very well.

The ASE Utra is around £60-65 weighs a fair bit more than the Sak and is longer, however it is reported to be 10% more efficient than the SAK.

As for the CZ click the following link, the main difference is the Varmint has a heavy barrel.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products_rimfire_rifles.php?m=1

Jerry,

Theres only two moderators worth considering: SAK & ASE Utra.

The Sak is £25-30 light weight and fairly short and works very well.

The ASE Utra is around £60-65 weighs a fair bit more than the Sak and is longer, however it is reported to be 10% more efficient than the SAK.

As for the CZ click the following link, the main difference is the Varmint has a heavy barrel.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products_rimfire_rifles.php?m=1

also the placement of the action screws. The american has (dont quote me on this) two into the action, where as the varmint has a barrel lug and one in the action. this makes little practical difference. And accuracy from both models is great. And the triggers are very good once the brooks kit is installed. Also consider the cz 453, same as the 452 but with the single set trigger, they have also moved the varmints screws, so i believe it now has two in the action and no barrel lug.

I would say this:

if you can afford an anshutz and the bolt lift thing dosent bother you, go for that. I consider this a slightly higher quality rifle than the Sako. The marlin, savage and cz are all cheaper alternatives which might offer good accuracy etc... but are more likely to shift zero or break etc...

However the CZ is a very good gun for the money, i wouldnt swap mine in an hurry.

Cheers for all the above .... I had a look in my local gun shop today and they have a CZ 452 American in there for just short of £400 however its the 20" barrel .... any thoughts as to preferred barrel length .... I mainly walk & lamp but shoot from the 4x4 every now and again.

Also they recommended a Wildcat Growler moderator (£125) ... anyone had any experience with these good/bad ??

Cheers for the link Axe

Cheers for all the above .... I had a look in my local gun shop today and they have a CZ 452 American in there for just short of £400 however its the 20" barrel .... any thoughts as to preferred barrel length .... I mainly walk & lamp but shoot from the 4x4 every now and again.

Also they recommended a Wildcat Growler moderator (£125) ... anyone had any experience with these good/bad ??

Cheers for the link Axe

That's seems very expensive - my RFD does them for £280 and I've seen them for as little as £250 new! As for moderators, a £30 Sak is all you really need. A bunny sitting at 150 yards won't tell the difference.

Although I love my CZ Varmint with an ASE Utra moderator, it's a bloomin' heavy thing to lug around! If I was starting again I'd go for a 16" American with a Sak moderator and I'd keep my nice and compact Bushnell 3200 10x40 scope on it.

John :no:

if you get the 21" version over the 16" you will only end up having it cut down. The varmint in 21" form with a mod on the end and a bipod, makes for a very very heavy rimfire. I had mine cut to 16" and with a mod fitted it ballences the same as the 21" version with nothing on it and is 1" shorter.

the wilcat mod is overkill. The SAK will do 99% of the job for alot less money.

£280 - £300 is about a fair price for an HMR cz. Any more and you can look elsewhere and less and your looking at a bargin or a gun that wont shift for some reason.

There are shops such as Andersons (east grinstead) who will give you pretty much the lowest price on a new gun. They simply take the proffit margin they need and sell it to you for the lowest price they can.

Got my cz 452 in .22 (cheaper than the HMR version) for £235

If i was buying again i would get a 16" american and look for some nice wood. The american is a better looking gun, equally accurate, has chequering on the forend and superiour chequering on the pistol grip and considerably lighter.

Cheers for the link Axe

Dont pay more than £300 for a new hmr. There is a 16' varmint in my local gunshop for £286.00. As others have said buy a shorter barrelled version as you will probably end up like me. Mine was standard length but ive had it shortened to 15' which is fitted with a sako mod and is nice and short making the rifle very handy especially for shooting from a vehicle. Personally the sako works fine for me and is very cheap and lightweight..