BB's wildfowling books

Passionforangling

I was wondering if anyone on here has read any of BB's books? As a former, really keen carp angler I have read "Confessions of a Carp Fisher" a few times over the years and really enjoy delving into it over the winter months.....it's only a reprint, the first editions are very expensive.

I've just started on "Manka The Sky Gypsy" which I am enjoying but finding it quite hard reading because I'm having to re-read some passages to try and understand the text.

I've looked at getting "Tide's Ending" and "Recollections of a Longshore Gunner" and wondered if anyone had read them and would recommend? The former seems particularly expensive even on Fleabay, so before I part with my hard earned cash some reviews would be good...or comments on any other of BB's books if you have read any?

I recently reread Manka, a brilliant read loved it as much the secound time around. Tides ending is also a good read, BB's obversations from days spent chasing the geese always captivate me and make me long for the next chance to get back on the marsh after the geese, you should be able to pick up a reprint at a resonable price.

A good Fowling book I would also recomend is Fowlers Moon by Nigel Thornycrot.

I'm currently reading longshore gunner which was leant to me by a friend and finding it a great read. I like the way i can relate to everything in the stories he tells, from the antics of his dogs to the off topic tales he recollects of stuff that went on between flights. The passion and enthusiasm he has for his sport really shines through, as he describes those early cold mornings sat in mud up too your gentlemans parts that only us wildfowlers can relate too. Reading this is filling me with wonder and expectation of what this season will bring. I'd see its definately worth investing in

Funny how people's tastes differ. I must be the only fowler unable to get on with Thorndycrafts Fowlers Moon. There's nothing at all wrong with it, just doesn't do it for me.

I've read most of what BB has written over the years and pushed to pick a favourite fowling book of his I'd go for Longshore Gunner, I have no idea how many times I've read it.

I like things I can delve into almost like short stories so like some of the modern stuff as well like Solway Sunrise and A Goose in Galloway both compiled by Desmond Bately. Jonathon Young's, Pattern of Wings follows a similar format and is worth seeking out. Edward Millers Geese is for me the pick of the recent books though if I had to choose just one.

I've read tides ending and also dark estuary both are excellent..places were he loved to go after the geese..i also like "goose fever" by his very good friend douglas mcdougall,who is sadly not with us either anymore..in that book "bb" is featured quite a lot and it is 1st class :good:

Both Tides Ending and Dark Estuary by BB are a couple of my favorite books . I used to have Reconlections of a longshore gunner but alas It was lost 30 years ago and the reprint is a bit too pricy for me. Morning Flight and Wild Chorus by Peter Scott are also two books well worth reading.Alan Savorys books of wildfowling in East Anglia are also well worth reading. I just love Fowlers Moon mainly because its a good read of tales of just the same sort of shooting I love from pure wildfowling to rough shooting , plus I shot on the same marsh as the author for years. I would recomend having a look on Ebay for wildfowling books , plenty there and many at a reasonable price.

Edited by anser2

Just got to chapter 5... The Second Winter. The book is growing on me now as I've got further into it. I just fear for Manka...please don't spoil it for me though!

I remember having The Little Grey Men read to me at school and when my own kids were growing up I used to take them to the River Blythe which is a gorgeous little river by me and throw stones in by the far bank when they weren't looking. To this day ( and they are in their late 20's now) I think they still believe me when I say that Dodder, Sneezewort etc live under the brambles on the far bank!!

:good: Regarding 'Goose Fever'.

I've read tides ending and also dark estuary both are excellent..places were he loved to go after the geese..i also like "goose fever" by his very good friend douglas mcdougall,who is sadly not with us either anymore..in that book "bb" is featured quite a lot and it is 1st class :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how people's tastes differ. I must be the only fowler unable to get on with Thorndycrafts Fowlers Moon. There's nothing at all wrong with it, just doesn't do it for me.

I've read most of what BB has written over the years and pushed to pick a favourite fowling book of his I'd go for Longshore Gunner, I have no idea how many times I've read it.

I like things I can delve into almost like short stories so like some of the modern stuff as well like Solway Sunrise and A Goose in Galloway both compiled by Desmond Bately. Jonathon Young's, Pattern of Wings follows a similar format and is worth seeking out. Edward Millers Geese is for me the pick of the recent books though if I had to choose just one.

I have a very large ,,collection of wildfowling books ,including all the rare ones snowden slights etc ,fowlers moon is one of the few i woudn,t bother reading again Kenzie is a very good read ,also Phil Grays book the washlanders,

I have a very large ,,collection of wildfowling books ,including all the rare ones snowden slights etc ,fowlers moon is one of the few i woudn,t bother reading again Kenzie is a very good read ,also Phil Grays book the washlanders,

I can't disagree with any of that. I've enjoyed all of Phil Grays books with the exception of the September 1st book which I found boring and repetitive. Makes it even more strange for me as Gray and Thorndycraft were big friends with Gray having based some of his style on his friends books I believe.

Another classic loved by many that I didn't enjoy was Ian Phipps And Clouds Flying

I would love a nice old wildfowling book any suggestions?

A friend of mine recently recommended Wildgoose Chase by Coombe Richards. A small book about the authors adventures chasing geese in Ireland and very enjoyable it was to. I have to admit I'd never heard of it until recently despite collecting Wildfowling books for many years. Makes me wonder what other little gems there are out there that I have missed.

Yes, a good little read.

A friend of mine recently recommended Wildgoose Chase by Coombe Richards. A small book about the authors adventures chasing geese in Ireland and very enjoyable it was to. I have to admit I'd never heard of it until recently despite collecting Wildfowling books for many years. Makes me wonder what other little gems there are out there that I have missed.

I can't disagree with any of that. I've enjoyed all of Phil Grays books with the exception of the September 1st book which I found boring and repetitive. Makes it even more strange for me as Gray and Thorndycraft were big friends with Gray having based some of his style on his friends books I believe.

Another classic loved by many that I didn't enjoy was Ian Phipps And Clouds Flying

For some reason I can't edit this post but And Clouds Flying was by Ian Pitman and not Ian Phipps. No idea why I wrote Phipps must be getting old!!!

Ian Phipps painted the pictures in Alan Jarret's first book.

If I remember correctly, Ian Pitman wrote that whilst held as a prisoner of war.

For some reason I can't edit this post but And Clouds Flying was by Ian Pitman and not Ian Phipps. No idea why I wrote Phipps must be getting old!!!

Edited by Penelope

Ian Phipps painted the pictures in Alan Jarret's first book.

If I remember correctly, Ian Pitman wrote that whilst held as a prisoner of war.

Right on both counts I think. I've never actually completely read Pitmans book having tried several times. Perhaps I'll give it another go. Fowlers Moon I did complete but have never revisited.

Coch y Bonduu books generally have a good selection, if at the top end price wise.

http://www.anglebooks.com/search.php?xSearch=wildfowling&xPriceFrom=0&xPriceTo=0&xSort=author&xPage=2

Thanks reabrook I live in ireland anyhow so it suits me..any ideas were I could order it?

Edited by Penelope

Thanks reabrook I live in ireland anyhow so it suits me..any ideas were I could order it?

There were quite a few on Amazon when I bought mine a few months back but could only find one on there this evening

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Wildgoose+chase+Coombe+Richards+&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3AWildgoose+chase+Coombe+Richards+

If you buy a copy let me know what you think

I recently reread Manka, a brilliant read loved it as much the secound time around. Tides ending is also a good read, BB's obversations from days spent chasing the geese always captivate me and make me long for the next chance to get back on the marsh after the geese, you should be able to pick up a reprint at a resonable price.

A good Fowling book I would also recomend is Fowlers Moon by Nigel Thornycrot.

On the subject of BB, , this afternoon i was working on the roof of the "round house", his former home[replacing some broken tiles],it has a large flying goose,weather vane,the current owners ,asked me to paint it ,as its beginning to rust ,as a BB fan i of course said i,d be delighted,cant wait to go back its an interesting place and gives a background to some of his story,s.

On the subject of BB, , this afternoon i was working on the roof of the "round house", his former home[replacing some broken tiles],it has a large flying goose,weather vane,the current owners ,asked me to paint it ,as its beginning to rust ,as a BB fan i of course said i,d be delighted,cant wait to go back its an interesting place and gives a background to some of his story,s.

Got to be worth a few photographs to share on here Gedney?