1st outing for the ferrets

Stealth Stalker

After what seems like a lifetime of waiting I decided to give the ferts their first outing on some bunnys on Sunday. I called Pin to see if he fancied tagging along plus I needed someone to carry the spade. :lol: The weather wasn't looking great, but he assured me according to his all knowing box he seems to spend his life on, that it was passing showers clearing by 9am.

He suggested we go to my local clay shoot & have a quick round then get out with the ferts, reluctantly I agreed me knowing it was DTL & I hate DTL. Well it didn't stop p***** down the whole time we were there, we got soaked, I hit 14 :lol: I HATE DTL

After the DTL debacle I didn't fancy going out with the ferts, but Pin is very persuasive and I found myself in the van driving to my nearby permission, I figured that with all the rain we had the bunnies would be tucked up in bed. Thankfully the weather lightened up & we were soon heading to some likely looking burrows, the first was large with about 20 holes that we could see amongst the nettles, I didn't fancy putting them in there on a 1st outing & if I was being honest I was a little worried as it was my 1st time ferreting as well.

We came to another smaller warren with about 15 holes it was nettle & bramble free but looked like no one was home all holes were blocked with leaves, I felt a bit happier with this thinking I would just give them a little run around under ground. So we put 10 purse nets out leaving a few open for any bolters to be Pinned with the gun. I put the mk 3 collar on one of my jills & checked it was working then popped her in the front of a hole, she went straight in :good:

We stood back & waited Pin in a safe position to take any bolters to a nearby bramble patch. After what seemed like an hour, but Pin tells me it was 5 minutes she emerged from a hole about 20 feet from where I put her in, then went straight back down, after another few mins she appeared again, then straight back down, this went on a while & we both thought that she was enjoying herself running around the empty holes.

We decided to pack the nets up & move on, no sooner than we had all the nets up a bloody rabbit shot out of the hole I picked the last net up off :lol: followed by another 2 :/:angry: Then out pops the fert with a look on her face as if to say "I've just been running my **** off down here bolting rabbits & you 2 bloody amateurs have lifted all the nets & put the gun away" :lol:

We moved on to another small looking set of likely holes where I tried the other jill but there was nothing at home.

We didn't actually catch any rabbits due to our own stupid ness, after reading lots of books & reading countless articles on ferreting, looking back I can now see that we did a lot of things wrong. I must say that I was chuffed to bits with the way the ferrets worked, I am absolutely hooked on ferreting now & cant wait to get out again with them.

A big thanks to the Peltman for giving me 2 beautifull jills that have proven themselves to me that they know what they're doing. You've got good working stock there mate :lol: Any time you want to go out & show a numpty like me how to do things properly just let me know.

Cheers Stealth Stalker

Good workers you have there!

We were daft for lifting the nets, but mind looking at that bury the only reason we put them there was to see if the ferts would enter, it really didn't look like there had been any use there at all...

You also missed out that I did have a crack at one bolter but was far too slow and missed him behind :good:

Can't wait to get out again, that is if you need a spade carrier :lol:

Cheers for the replys chaps

FM

I' m gonna be getting another mk3 collar so I can work the pair of them together as well, like the fool I am when I bought the locator off Deako at the CLA gamefair he was going to throw another collar in for an extra £30. I declined his kind offer :stupid:

I'm also in the market for a few long nets, some more purse nets & someone who knows what they're doing :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good instructional ferreting DVD

Pin

I didn't want set you back on the " I can't hit rabbits path" :lol:

Cheers SS

Cheers for the replys chaps

FM

I' m gonna be getting another mk3 collar so I can work the pair of them together as well, like the fool I am when I bought the locator off Deako at the CLA gamefair he was going to throw another collar in for an extra £30. I declined his kind offer :stupid:

I'm also in the market for a few long nets, some more purse nets & someone who knows what they're doing :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good instructional ferreting DVD

Pin

I didn't want set you back on the " I can't hit rabbits path" :lol:

Cheers SS

Better off learning the hard way SS or you will have 50 million opinions of what to and not to do with frets.

If you collar them you will get your frets back, after digging, if you look after them well you will get them back without the collars.

Call them every morning and use the same call/sound/whatever.

Handle them at least twice daily even if you have had a **** day dealing with idiots.

It's working for me and I was told by bods that have been at it for years.

LB

Cheers LB

They are well handled every day, I give em a whistle every time I approach the cage & they respond beautifully jumping up in to my hands, & up me sleeves, in me jacket, the problem is putting them back in , they just want to play the whole time :lol:

SS

Thats good SS :stupid:

If you make them want to be with you rather than elsewhere your sorted.

Just like having a dog mate.

LB

Nice story lads

Working ferrets is the same as all animals we use, lurcherboy is right make them want to be with you and you wont go far wrong.I dont use a ferret finder on mine people say its irresponsible but to date i have never left any behind and never will,by handling and training they always come back,i also find the collars a bind especially when the ferrets are passing through the nets,if we get one that is staying down the hole for whatever reason i have a short thick wooden stick that i tap quickly on the inside of the hole,the ferret will come to that noise thinking it is a buck rabbit beating a warning with its back foot i know some of the old and bold will say b******ks but it works for me, anyway keep at it fellas the buzz you get when waiting for a bolter can,t be beaten.

Andy :oops: