Fac times for rifle clubs

dob

There's a lot of posts regarding lead time on fac grants and renewals , do people getting certs to join rifle clubs get there's any faster than folk wanting one for vermin control , in theory the times should be the same but from reading posts nobody mentioned tickets issued to club members So got me thinking

I have both reasons and it seems that renewal takes the same time as everyone else in Cheshire - not a bad service at all and usually no delays on renewal, unless you want an odd change. Renewals are sent out in time for renewals to be coincident with lapsing certs and I have not heard of complaints about Cheshire's service, except that is about .223 only for fox, and last time no AOLQ.

If you already have a shotgun certificate and somewhere suitable to shoot say rabbits then obtaining a FAC should(as in my own case) only take a matter of weeks.Joining a rifle club it may take up to a year before the Police will consider allowing you to own your own weapon.

If you already have a shotgun certificate and somewhere suitable to shoot say rabbits then obtaining a FAC should(as in my own case) only take a matter of weeks.Joining a rifle club it may take up to a year before the Police will consider allowing you to own your own weapon.

There is no reason it should take that long. Do you have anything to support that? Which area is this?

If your sole reason for acquiring a firearm is target shooting then you must be a full member of a HO approved club. You get full membership either by being a probationary member first (minimum three months) or by being an existing FAC holder in which case the club are allowed to waive the probationary period.

I've nev er heard of any police force insisting on a twelve month wait until they will grant an FAC to a club member.

J.

It appears that the club I have knowledge of operates under much stricter policy regarding their support for an FAC applicant and probationary periods.The club is in the Home Counties.I would suspect there is no hard and fast rule and its up to the individual club.As I stated earlier my own request for a .22 for rabbit control was granted in a matter of weeks.Must go as I am up at 3am to shoot a few of the aforementioned.

I got my fac for club shooting, you hav to do a 3 month probation period before becoming a full member then you can apply for your fac. Holding a shotgun cert does not make the process go any quicker as I hold one and asked my feo the same question to which she sed makes no difference on time. If you are using for club shooting you must be a member of a club all the time as that is your reason for having your fac and if not could lose your liscience also if reason on liscience is for target shooting you can not shoot game etc without getting it printed on your liscience or will be in big trouble. Hope this helps as only went through all this 2-3 months ago so all still fresh in my head and rapidly filling up my ticket lol

Can confirm the general view above.

Here in Glos you will wait months for anything to be issued from Glos Firearms whether its SGC or FAC, new or renewal, variation, for vermin control or target club shooting and all regardless of what you may already hold.

In recent years the shortest wait I know of is 4 months, the longest nearly 12 months and the norm appears to be around 6 months.

It's a shame they don't seek advice from BASC about how to reduce their processes and improve efficiency (I never doubt they all work very hard) but I doubt that will happen as I suspect there is a certain resistance to change within the section.