Motor Neurone Disease

keg

I watched a neighbour die of this and although ( thank god) no one in my family has been affected. It was harrowing to see my neighbour deteriorate.

I have just finished reading about a young chap in our local paper who has just left a young wife and son.

The reason I mention it here is that I didn't realise that the money involved in researching for a cure was so small, £2 million pa, this is peanuts compared to Aids & Cancer although obviously more people are affected by cancer.

It does make you think.

Horrible discease. My friend and work colleague was unlucky to have it. Watching somone literally waste away day after day with no cure and little means of relief.

I now fundraise for MND scotland.

good man. a very worthwhile but seriously underfunded charity when compared to some of the others

That's what surprised me so much Spanj, all illnesses need researching and I am not going to sit here and tell anyone which should and should not, it's just sad to see so little spent on one that currently has no treatment or cure that I am aware of.

Terrible disease/illness

Killed my friends wife, fortunately it only took 1 year, but it seemed a lot longer.

The saddest part for me was that the brain was still fully functional, so she was fully aware of all that was happening around and about her.

Edited by bakerboy

We as a family had to watch my Grandfather suffer with this in the early 90's before eventually passing away. To watch such an active man who refereed local football, play crown green bowls, walk 3 miles to work and 3 miles back every day and be heavily involved in the green keeping deteriorate in such a way was heart breaking.

The local Bowing club held a fund raising day that attracted international players to help raise awareness and funds to enable a computer system be installed in his home to enable my Grandfather to use a head touchpad to turn the TV on and change channels , switch lights on and allow door access through a intercom system. We as a family will never forget the help and support he got from the local community and the sports clubs he was involved with to help him live as comfortable as possible until the near end. The worse of it all is the suffers keep all their faculties but lose all movement of limbs.

We hold this fundraising event every year in memory of Grandad and raise on average over 1k on 1 day for the MN charity.

We hope one day that this medical condition gets the funding it rightly deserves .