Hi all - licence question already sorry!

Evening everyone. I submitted a shotgun licence application on 8 May and the cheque was cashed on 24. I don't suppose anybody has any idea of the processing/issuing time from the West Midlands force please?

I couldn't get through to them on the phone shortly beforehand but did speak to a lady at the Staffs office who said that I should expect to wait up to 6 months. That's some backlog!

Thanks all :)

I would try and find out where they are based and visit in person

Apparently they got so tired of this that they no longer see visitors. Even getting through on the phone is tricky - the only menu option that puts you through to someone is 'Press 6 if you are from another Police force'. The rest are recorded messages....

Sounds about right. They take their time.

Really? So West Mids is not unusual? I want to get going!!

Thanks for the welcomes guys - good to be here and looking forward to chatting.....

Hi mate, just been through what your going through so I know what it feels like.

Mine arrived last Friday after 14 weeks, 12 waiting for the interview and another 2 for the cert to arrive, but like you I was told it could be 6 months!

The officers who came also said it could have taken 8 weeks for the cert to arrive and if it had t come then to give them a ring.

I know it's hard but you can only be patient.

Hi mate, just been through what your going through so I know what it feels like.

Mine arrived last Friday after 14 weeks, 12 waiting for the interview and another 2 for the cert to arrive, but like you I was told it could be 6 months!

The officers who came also said it could have taken 8 weeks for the cert to arrive and if it had t come then to give them a ring.

I know it's hard but you can only be patient.

Invaluable info................thank you!

As far as I am aware there is only one member of admin staff left in West Midlands Firearms licencing, all the rest of the staff have left (FEO's included) . There is a shared services agreement with Staffordshire Firearms licencing & once your application has been processed by the staff member at Lloyd House (West Mids) it will be passed on to Staffordshire to deal with.

I had an email conversation with Staffs licencing at the end of last month to confirm that they ddid not yet have full access to the West Midlands computer systems & that was slowing things down somewhat.

As far as I am aware there is only one member of admin staff left in West Midlands Firearms licencing, all the rest of the staff have left (FEO's included) . There is a shared services agreement with Staffordshire Firearms licencing & once your application has been processed by the staff member at Lloyd House (West Mids) it will be passed on to Staffordshire to deal with.

I had an email conversation with Staffs licencing at the end of last month to confirm that they ddid not yet have full access to the West Midlands computer systems & that was slowing things down somewhat.

Hi Morph - that is exactly what I've been told so I guess it must be right...........unfortunately!

My renewal ran over about 6 weeks.Fortunately, guns were shared on my wifes cert, so no probs. Phone system doesnt work as it should and they have some sort of merger going on with Staffs force. I sent them an e-mail and they phoned me the next day.Try that. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...