Tank you for good Neighbours

lxtav

My dad and I both have small holdings (10 acres in total) and its that time of year again when the Hay gets cut. The recent great weather has produced some great hay as everyone went mad making it round here. However nothing goes smoothly when haymaking (usually a baler taking a hissy fit as next door had) and half way trough the haymaking the clutch in the tractor decided it was going to go so now we can only do 1mph without it slipping. As there are several smallholdings round us it was neighbours to the rescue who came over with the tractor to finish the baling and cut, turn and bale my small field while our tractor has its clutch replaced this week. Thank god for great neighbours who all pull together.

The holdings were built between the wars for returning servicemen to have a job and everyone mucked in together then and a lot of the people in the holdings that are farmed are relatives/decendents of the original occupants. They have been sold off piecemeal over the years and most don't have the ground they started with (usually 7-8 acres) or they have bought the surrounding land to be small 50- 75 acre farms. The few that are still around the same size and farmed as ours and the neighbours is are farmed by people who have full time jobs (both dad and the neighbour worked shifts till they retired a few years ago) so it was a mad dash to get things done such as cutting oats/barley etc. I can remember when we moved in over 30+ years ago as a young kid that everyone helped everyone else out especially at harvest time as no round balers then just small square ones and every bale had to be lifted out the field by hand (a horrible mucky job in the heat of summer) so everyone helped everyone else to get it done and it's still the same although the equipment is a lot newer and more capable. Couple of years ago we were pulling the neighbours telehandler out the two foot deep snow it was stuck in with the tractor as he was trying to feed his sheep.