is this type of stupidity that will cost us all

i'm not saying an appliad for liceance is the answer,but a liceance you have to buy to own air guns legally might get rid of some of the morons owning them.

i agree mate, theres alot of yobs and rong uns wuth air guns! But its a shame because there are more law abiding airgun owners who love there sport! as always the minority spoils it for the rest! But a licence is welcomed by me!

Fabarm

How about restricting air rifle posession without a licence to those with NO criminal convictions at all (incl cautions), anyone with any convictions required to apply for one, similar to sgc. This should give the police the power to remove air rifles from any morons (with any type of conviction), even if the come accross the air rifle in what would (ordinarily) be a lawful position.

I think just objecting to any licencing withoutan alternative will leave us all at the sharp end of the stick.

Further tightening of airgun law cannot and must not be contemplated when it is abundantly clear that existing laws are not enforced with anything like sufficient rigour. In fact, that should apply to all areas of legislation. Passing new laws for the sake of appearances is a terrible substitute for policing those you already have.

Airguns are covered by specific legislation in the Firearms Act. Failure to comply, including failing to prevent access to minors and committing armed trespass by carrying an airgun on to land without the owner's aurthority, is, or should be a very serious offence that should carry a custodial sentence; but offences with airguns are treated as little more antisocial behaviour and the guns themselves as hazardous toys. Its a disgrace. For once, it is not legislation that is at fault, but enforcement and sentencing.

As shooters, rather than rolling over and taking the line of least resistence we should raise hell, demanding to know from our MPs (and PCCs) why public safety and the reputation of law-abiding shooters is being compromised by lax policing and weak sentencing.

Further tightening of airgun law cannot and must not be contemplated when it is abundantly clear that existing laws are not enforced with anything like sufficient rigour. In fact, that should apply to all areas of legislation. Passing new laws for the sake of appearances is a terrible substitute for policing those you already have.

Airguns are covered by specific legislation in the Firearms Act. Failure to comply, including failing to prevent access to minors and committing armed trespass by carrying an airgun on to land without the owner's aurthority, is, or should be a very serious offence that should carry a custodial sentence; but offences with airguns are treated as little more antisocial behaviour and the guns themselves as hazardous toys. Its a disgrace. For once, it is not legislation that is at fault, but enforcement and sentencing.

As shooters, rather than rolling over and taking the line of least resistence we should raise hell, demanding to know from our MPs (and PCCs) why public safety and the reputation of law-abiding shooters is being compromised by lax policing and weak sentencing.

Agree with most of this in principle, but I don't think the shooting community is anywhere near as organised and politically mobilised to do this, which is a real shame. Edited by pegasus bridge

how about a police force that know and are aloud to the jobs properly? instead of cut backs.

and the any conviction thing gets a bit petty when youve got a parking tickit etc...its a move backwards to the old victorian times with stuff like that. all the laws are there and did work untill popularity started ruling the coup, or worse the 'new improved version of the interpretasion'... i/e make it up as you go and collect a lotta money in court for ******* up the system.

you can fix the dripps comeing from the leak for ever, but the actual cause will only get worse.................

Edited by stoogey

how about a police force that know and are aloud to the jobs properly? instead of cut backs.

and the any conviction thing gets a bit petty when youve got a parking tickit etc...its a move backwards to the old victorian times with stuff like that. all the laws are there and did work untill popularity started ruling the coup, or worse the 'new improved version of the interpretasion'... i/e make it up as you go and collect a lotta money in court for ******* up the system.

you can fix the dripps comeing from the leak for ever, but the actual cause will only get worse.................

:eh: ?

Just been round my allotment to check on my chickens.As I bend down to fill up a feeder I herd a whizz, the ideot next door had shot at what I presumed was a rat.However the pellet came through the hedge just missing me .I climbed through the hedge sharpish to have a word with this numpty.I asked him what the bloody hell he was playing at? as he surley must of heard me on the other side of the hedge.Shooting birds was his reply then what he did next nearly lost my rag alogether, he proudly displayed 1 wren & 2 chaffinches he had shot.I tried to take them off him but thats when it got a little heated.The sooner they licence these airrifles the better. Now just waiting for plod to turn up, as this ****** isnt gona get away withshooting birds

This is what I mean. It is not a petty matter. This a******* has blatantly committed a wildlife crime and at least two firearms offences. And he has admitted it. Follow it up. the police should throw the book at him. If they don't I whould be demanding to know why and reporting the matter to the press. Why should licensing stop him shooting his neighbours and killing protected song birds? I bet jail and a criminal record for firearms offences would.

Let us know what happens and let BASC know as well.

This is what I mean. It is not a petty matter. This ******** has blatantly committed a wildlife crime and at least two firearms offences. And he has admitted it. Follow it up. the police should throw the book at him. If they don't I whould be demanding to know why and reporting the matter to the press. Why should licensing stop him shooting his neighbours and killing protected song birds? I bet jail and a criminal record for firearms offences would.

i really hope they do throw the book at him, but by the time it gets to court and published in the press, it will be yet another 'incident' to beat the legitimate shooting community with.

This is a great example of an air rifle being in the hands of someone who clearly has no interest in shooting, and (at best) ignorance of the law, but has acquired an air rifle because it is easy to do so.

I know as genuine shooters we resist any further restrictions on shooting, but the value of drawing the distinction between crime committed with lawfully held and unlawfully held air rifles, would IMHO outweigh any effect of a basic license requirement.

i know that there would remain a huge number out in circulation 'illegally', but this would be the point, legitimate people genuinely interested in shooting (as i would say virtually all are on this forum) would be able to put a clear and simple distinction between themselves and the actions of morons when incidents happen.

At the moment, the actions of some moron who brought a Chinese break barrel for £10 and is shooting the local songbird / cat population is having a negative impact on the perception of ALL of us decent shooting folk.

This is what I mean. It is not a petty matter. This ******** has blatantly committed a wildlife crime and at least two firearms offences. And he has admitted it. Follow it up. the police should throw the book at him. If they don't I whould be demanding to know why and reporting the matter to the press. Why should licensing stop him shooting his neighbours and killing protected song birds? I bet jail and a criminal record for firearms offences would.

so emotions should be the laws guidence hu? not.

ever broke the speed limit? ooo you murdering so and so you should be....what ever rubbish anger can word out to sound big...

judge dred movies actualy have a story line...something to do with the law 'cant' be black and white, it takes a little understanding not just a linch mob.

yes it isnt a petty mater...but without the rest of the facts surrounding the situasion it's mean imprisoning on a minor incidend.. like doing 35 in a 30 zone, or 80 on the motorway etc etc, every time you speed should you be imprisoned for murderous intent? no run that next to some *** doing 200mph past the school in a super car? well yes they should be sorted out shoulnt they?? unless...extenuating curcumstances and i dont mean late fu work etc etc.

if the stray shot guy continues to do so then obviously its a no brainer...prosecute. now then, if it was 303? the end results are dead body verses stung in the leg with a pellet..

the scape goat sinario used in polotics to rhyle the underlings to turn on them selfs is often implomented. like turning a nasion against the sick, the infirm, and those who cannot defend themselfs? thats scapegoating... stringing some guy up for a stray pellet..well...yu know as fun as it is, scapegoat murdering isnt actualy justified in any way...other than entertainment.

(this isnt aimed at the quoted auther btw...its to make a point.

no doubt no one can understand.....thats why the laws arent down to the selectivly ignorent...thank god....well.. they werent)

Edited by stoogey

I have a little sympathy with that one, my outlaws have a caravan parked in their field and that has been shot by a neighbour through the hedge. Ok its only made a single hole in the back but thats not really the point, had it hit someone then its a serious issue. The brat there also has a spud gun that fires whole potatoes over the hedge, sounds like fun except with my other halfs father being 85 what happens when one clouts him round the head.

I have a little sympathy with that one, my outlaws have a caravan parked in their field and that has been shot by a neighbour through the hedge. Ok its only made a single hole in the back but thats not really the point, had it hit someone then its a serious issue. The brat there also has a spud gun that fires whole potatoes over the hedge, sounds like fun except with my other halfs father being 85 what happens when one clouts him round the head.

so a repeating **** then? speeks for itself lol....

so emotions should be the laws guidence hu? not.

ever broke the speed limit? ooo you murdering so and so you should be....what ever rubbish anger can word out to sound big...

judge dred movies actualy have a story line...something to do with the law 'cant' be black and white, it takes a little understanding not just a linch mob.

yes it isnt a petty mater...but without the rest of the facts surrounding the situasion it's mean imprisoning on a minor incidend.. like doing 35 in a 30 zone, or 80 on the motorway etc etc, every time you speed should you be imprisoned for murderous intent? no run that next to some *** doing 200mph past the school in a super car? well yes they should be sorted out shoulnt they?? unless...extenuating curcumstances and i dont mean late fu work etc etc.

if the stray shot guy continues to do so then obviously its a no brainer...prosecute. now then, if it was 303? the end results are dead body verses stung in the leg with a pellet..

the scape goat sinario used in polotics to rhyle the underlings to turn on them selfs is often implomented. like turning a nasion against the sick, the infirm, and those who cannot defend themselfs? thats scapegoating... stringing some guy up for a stray pellet..well...yu know as fun as it is, scapegoat murdering isnt actualy justified in any way...other than entertainment.

(this isnt aimed at the quoted auther btw...its to make a point.

no doubt no one can understand.....thats why the laws arent down to the selectivly ignorent...thank god....well.. they werent)

Nope, didn't get that either.

Do you take drugs?