New rifle

P03

Finally got my new rifle a Tikka T3 .243 with T8 Mod. I'm not that impressed with the "out of the box accuracy" but I've only put 30 rounds through it so far, though I confess only Fed VShok 100 gns..... lots more work to do yet. Has anyone got one? how many rounds did you need to shoot it in? or was it accurate out of the box? I'd be interested in your views on this and also when do you clean?

Ta

Finally got my new rifle a Tikka T3 .243 with T8 Mod. I'm not that impressed with the "out of the box accuracy" but I've only put 30 rounds through it so far, though I confess only Fed VShok 100 gns..... lots more work to do yet. Has anyone got one? how many rounds did you need to shoot it in? or was it accurate out of the box? I'd be interested in your views on this and also when do you clean?

Ta

Have a read here:

http://www.hps-tr.com/guidance/barrel_runningIn.asp

Good stuff.

I've got a T3 in .243 with a T8 on the end.

Mine has grouped superb straight out of the box even with the factory ammo that i have tried.

The factory ammo i put through mine was Winchester CXP2 100 grain soft point and i only tried them because i was given a box free at the midlandsgame fair a few years ago. I have recently bought some federal 100 grain soft points to use when stalking ( not had the time to load any of my own ) but i have yet to try them :no:

I have loaded 75 and 65 grain Vmax for mine with good results with both bullet weights

As for cleaning i just use a mop soaked in benchrest every now and then. I didnt bother "shooting the barrel in" and so far no problems :angry:

Ta

Have a read here:

http://www.hps-tr.com/guidance/barrel_runningIn.asp

Good stuff.

Thanks for the link and thanks all for the advice.....more time on the range methinks