Thinking of joining

gregs

Hi all, I'm thinking of joining NPPC and wanted some feedback from members. I just wondered if there was plenty of land (and quarry) to go at. Also do you think it's worth the cost, does the land get hammered etc etc.

Cheers

NPPC provides lawful pigeon shooting for the purpose of pest control, for the benefit of farmers, in order to recognise maximum crop yields wherever possible. The land on which it is undertaken is extensive and covers a large proportion of the English counties. Shooting is allowed on any of the defined areas and is locatable using standard OS map references. Booking the land is straight forward, you pick up the phone and "order" your spot with Mr. John Shooter who runs and administers the shooting rights.

You will be expected to be insured, which is a pre-requisite and behave according to the guidelines as laid down in the BASC code of pratice for pigeon pest control and also be expected to respect farmers' land, property and crops and abide by club rules, which includes owning and using appropriate hides and equipment pertaining to the job in hand, pest control.

All of the shooting takes place on arable crops, OSR mainly, occasionally peas and other minor crops, depending on what is to be protected.

All in all the shooting rights cover many hundreds if not thousands of hectares of arable crops, some will argue undoubtedly some areas are more "productive" for pigeon than others, but alas this is in the lap of the gods.

Many shooters have successfully had large bags at many locations, others had not so much.

As everybody knows pigeon shooting is fickle by its nature, and NPPC cannot be held responsible for the lack of birds or weather induced circumstances surrounding numbers of birds.

You may or possibly will get lucky and get large bags, especially if you do the ground work, go out and find the flightlines, find the birds etc.

If you sit at home and just decide to go on the spur of the moment, it could pay off, but maybe not, prep is the key, which involves getting out and looking.

But you can go whenever you want, as many times as you want, and wherever you want so long as you abide by the rules, and book the shoot, the rest is down to you.

Is it worth it?.....if you're going to put the effort in and get out, it has to be.

But the birds won't come to you...hope this helps. :angry:

Well let us know how you get on with joining or not.

I personally was going to join but found that when I emailed a couple of quesitons to them, they had a very snotty responce. And to be honest was totally uncalled for.

I am not impressed and therefore wont be joining. Luckly enough I have plenty of land to shoot on.... So it is no loss for me.

Good luck.... I figured I would at least give my 2 pence in.

I personally was going to join but found that when I emailed a couple of quesitons to them, they had a very snotty responce. And to be honest was totally uncalled for.

I am not impressed and therefore wont be joining. Luckly enough I have plenty of land to shoot on.... So it is no loss for me.

Are you sure you contacted the right people that doesnt sound like them at all,

always been very helpful when i have contacted them for any reason.

Gregs

there is plenty of land to go at and it makes a nice change to shoot at different places

there are loads of fields.

and i dont think they get over shot, you just find where the birds are then give John a ring to book the field simple as that. :unsure: :):lol:

Not sure what happened there jon....

John Shooter has probably forgotten more about pigeon shooting than all of us know put together...

I've always found him to be informative, honest, helpful to a fault and generally a nice bloke to deal with.

Not only that but try to imagine how much time and effort he puts in going round to estates and land-owners to negotiate shooting rights on behalf of his members! A full time job I'll bet....

NPPC is without doubt probably the best pigeon shooting club in the country, for both land and membership fee IMHO. :unsure:

PC

It sounds ok to me, think I will give it a bash, my main concern was that I didn't want to be driving 60-70 miles every time I wanted to go. I live in Sheffield and have a couple of shoots but mainly rabbit and just love pigeon shooting, I know it's difficult to predict birds unlike rabbits but didn't want to join if there wasn't many birds to go at.

Heres my email I sent them... sorry deleted the responce when recieved because I thought it was very snotty.

Hi

I am Jonathon *******

I seen your link from our website pigeon watch. I noticed on rule 11 you state rabbits pigeons corvits.. but yet on the farmers page you also list rooks crows etc. I am a bit confused and would like to know the situation on this before joining.

Also with rabbits. I mainly snipe, although I do have a SG for crows/pigeons etc....

What is the situation on this.. as I seen you only allow air rifles and sg's

Thank you for your reply.

Jon

The reply I recieved stated something like this.... Anyone who knows what a corvit is .. knows that you can shoot rooks crows etc......... (All i wanted was clarification !!!) Then I got a lecture on sniping...... with him saying the definiation of sniping is shooting at a enemy..... and that refering to a rabbit as a enemy blah blah blah..... I guess I didnt make myself clear with the shooting of rabbits... meaing I use a .22 rimfire... and I wanted to know if it was allowed.. but he did ask if I had a open cert.....

I just found all in all his LONG responce to be both belittling and also over the top.

If anyone knows him.. than please ask him for a copy he sent to me... you will see the email!

I wont be joining after my reply...

I thought my questions were polite and honest and genuine.. considering that I do not want to take any risks... or get in any bother.

Am I missing something? Thanks

Well Jon boy, not sure what to make of it mate.

If you've got a .22 rimfire and you don't know what a corvid is you could be in trouble!

Oh, I hope you know what a crag-rat is!!!!!!!!

Cheers, C.B.:~}

Firstly what the heck does having a .22 have to do with knowing about the corvid species...

secondly.. I believe there are members of the corvid family that are protected.. which I am trying to look up now!!!!!!

Crag - rat- well unless your saying I am overly ambitions. a idiot. or a rock climber... no I dont have a clue.. tell me where the heck to find a "animal" or vermin.. called a crag-rat!!!!

So Please enlighten me...

I am still comming to grips with differance in terminology... If were allowed to shoot members of the corvid family.. than why not list it.. We cant go and shoot all types of pigeons on the field... so in some ways they are being too slack!!! I wanted to get a FULL understanding from them.

My question with the .22 was can I lay down.. in a hide.. use a bipod and use a rimfire..

Damn. I should have made it more simple minded!!!!!! ;)

yeah.. question for you.. do you know what a dill weed is?

:lol:

The following quote from jonrms .... NOT (yet?!) a member of nppc.

My question with the .22 was can I lay down.. in a hide.. use a bipod and use a rimfire..

Damn. I should have made it more simple minded!!!!!!

Listen Jon boy, if I was in charge of NPPC and you had asked me a question like that - I would not even have replied to you. :lol:

C.B.

For your information jon :

Dill is not a weed it is a herb it has yellow flowers like oilseed rape and its seeds are medicinal. ;)

CB,

I am Jon not "jon boy!"

the above question was relating to shooting rabbits! not corvids or pigeons...

another point. dill weed... well.. I will let you read this

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dill+weed

lastly... why the .... are you getting on my case.. I asked a simple question.. and you come in being a donkey about it!

your obviously very bored.... daft as heck... or you enjoy being a knobb.

Which is it?

if you have nothing to say that is sensible... or constructive ... please refrain from speaking...

I have given a honest responce to the "thinking of joining bit" and because your a member or not... and trying to either stick up for this club... or what ever.. does not give you permission to be a Jack A66 about it!

Grow up for a start bud! stop being a dill weed... and act like a adult..

I am not normally this insultive.. so I appoligise.... to anyone reading this other than CB... but please understand that it was a educated question.. I asked.. and I expected a professional responce by a organsiation/company that in in charge.

Dill weed! ;):lol::)

Now, now, lets keep this polite, or the edit pencil will come out.

I have always found the NPPC to be a thoroughly professionally run body and I am not a member.

In fairness to them, I would assume that anyone with a gun licence knows what a corvid is.

I would also assume that the use of firearms on their land is not permitted, but stand to be corrected on this.

Jon, if you have issues with the NPPC then don't join, its as simple as that.

Brian,

I am not joining.. I onlygave a honest review of my experiance with the NPPC...

I didnt expect to be insulted, nor belittled. I believe the Jay is under corvids, and think they are protected.... I will no doubt be corrected...

I wanted a explanation. If you re-read the post you will find that I asked for a explanation.. ie what species..

The website also didnt make it clear about using rimfires... but the reply said some do.. some dont. and wanted to know if i had a open cert...

I am sorry but I feel that I am not in the wrong.. I did not start using slang..or name calling before hand.. and i feel your attempt to pin me as a agrivator is wrong!

Call me if you wish to discuss. I wont give you a ear full... I will however explain my ground!!!

thanks again..

To Be honest the first question about Corvids i think you may find was a question for "clarification" on the subject.

I don't think it was a Lack of Knowledge of WHAT a corvid is! It was simply wanting Clarification as it seems he came across a contradiction between the two pages he read thats all.

As for a Corvid that may be ILLEGAL to shoot that may be Ravens as i beleive they are protected and i also beleive chough (spelling) are also protected and a Member of the Corvid Family. Jays were on the species list last time i read it but they are a very nice looking bird and i don't see many if ever so i think I would tend to leave it well be.

As for the Sniping comment perhaps it WAS a tad misleading but most people know what John meant it was simply another term for Hide shooting of Rabbits and perhaps a simple pointer rather than the comment received would have been a lot more appreciated.

John is a Top guy he is the type who is always on a learning curve and open to constructive suggestion but like all others won't benefit from critisism.

LG

CB,

I am Jon not "jon boy!"

Hi Jon,

I'm sure there has to have been some mis-understanding here, one way or another.

I've spoken to Mr. Shooter on various occasions about different things, indeed had some very interesting conversations, but one thing did strike me as I got to get to know his way......

One of the main difficulties he has in running the NPPC is being able to vouch for his members, and their associated behaviour.

I know it's not acceptible to demoralise or belittle anyone, especially on the pretence of making a valid enquiry, but the problem John has, is that he rarely gets to meet his members and I'm fairly sure that in his own way, he was trying to see how experienced you were, or maybe the level of your field craft knowledge, notwithstanding the fact that he's also a Yorkshireman with a broad sense of humour!

Reason I mention this is that because he rarely gets to meet his members, he has to try to "suss" them out sufficiently, and that's why he'll always welcome a phone call, so he can speak directly to you, thus gaining a better understanding of your needs and expectations, and also your ability.

The main reason is simple, it's because he has to vouch for all the members to his clients, and therefore his reputation is on the line a little....

Obviously any repercussions would come back on him and not you....

I'm sure if you spoke to him directly you would form an entirely different opinion.

John Shooter is not the type of person to belittle anyone on purpose, he'll go out of his way to help you.

Good Luck ;)

PC

CB,

I am Jon not "jon boy!"

Hi Jon,

I'm sure there has to have been some mis-understanding here, one way or another.

I've spoken to Mr. Shooter on various occasions about different things, indeed had some very interesting conversations, but one thing did strike me as I got to get to know his way......

One of the main difficulties he has in running the NPPC is being able to vouch for his members, and their associated behaviour.

I know it's not acceptible to demoralise or belittle anyone, especially on the pretence of making a valid enquiry, but the problem John has, is that he rarely gets to meet his members and I'm fairly sure that in his own way, he was trying to see how experienced you were, or maybe the level of your field craft knowledge, notwithstanding the fact that he's also a Yorkshireman with a broad sense of humour!

Reason I mention this is that because he rarely gets to meet his members, he has to try to "suss" them out sufficiently, and that's why he'll always welcome a phone call, so he can speak directly to you, thus gaining a better understanding of your needs and expectations, and also your ability.

The main reason is simple, it's because he has to vouch for all the members to his clients, and therefore his reputation is on the line a little....

Obviously any repercussions would come back on him and not you....

I'm sure if you spoke to him directly you would form an entirely different opinion.

John Shooter is not the type of person to belittle anyone on purpose, he'll go out of his way to help you.

Good Luck ;)

PC

Thank you PC for a logical responce to the above posts.

I was certin after speaking to various people that I must have not made myself clear. I also agree with your choice in a telephone conversation.

Perhaps after the new year I might just do that.

Thank you again.