Vectan powder for .222

Anyone using Vectan powder for loading .222?

I'm after a 50 grn bullet load that will serve all my vermin needs plus range shooting. I'm hoping to work up 3300 fps if I can and obviously if that will suit my rifle which has a 24" barrel and a 1:14 twist.

I thought Vectan Tubla 2000 or SP7 would have a suitable burn rate that might get me there at an economical price.

Any thoughts?

I must add I'm only just starting to learn loading and I'm under the supervision of a very experienced loader but obviously I'm buying the powder and I'm trying to avoid wasting money on the wrong choices.

If the above sounds a good option where are people buying Vectan powder?

I had a devil of a job trying to find someone that had any Varget in stock around this area - It was going to be my first choice (I'm not sure about Vectan). I ended up settling for H4198, CCI Small Rifle Primers and Hornady 52g A-Max all through PPU Brass that had only been fired through my rifle for my .222 and once I had worked out the "optimum load" found them extremely effective and accurate.

I should add that I havent put them through a chrono yet but the book suggests that I am getting somewhere around 2800 to 3000fps with the load that I am using.

Edited by Frenchieboy

Thanks everyone. I've found a load in a Sierra manual that delivers what I'm after with Reloder 7. I'm going to give that a go. Like the price of Vectan though.

I've been using 40 grn factory Federals. They'r brilliant for rabbits and foxes but struggle at 300 and 400 yards on the range if there's a breath of wind. They shoot fractionally flatter in my rifle than the maker's figures so I assumed they were going a bit quicker. But I've chronoed a batch and in fact they're slower than claimed at only 3270 fps. So much for figures. My theory was that I ought to be able to work up a more stable 50 grn bullet to that velocity quite easily and use it for everything. I guess I could be trying to fit a quart into a pint pot and I might have to settle for two loads, one for vermin and one for target and dial between the two. Nothing for it but to put my hand in my pocket and get started.

• 2 months later...