UV Light on well blended camouflage outfit

Rick 684

Seen an article which raised an issue regarding washing your hunting kit.

How many know that household washing powders leave behind residues that attract moisture and can clog fibres, reducing breathability.

plus contain UV fabric brighteners which make your clothes highly visible to any animal able to see ultraviolet hues.

So when your out pigeon shooting with all the gear on and Mr WoodPigeon gets spooked and you don't know why, Its more and likely that your camouflage outfit is glowing bright blue,

Hope this info helps

Edited by Rick 684

Never had an issue even without a net and just standing still, seem to remember shape shine shadow silloett follwoed by movement and noise was drummed into me.

Dpm has some material that disrupts ir as well but as I'm not hunting men or being hunted by one I wont Worry. Interesting all the same especially as the yanks wear day glow red shirts and hats and still hunt perfectly ok, having worn normaly washed clothing as well every other person on here and still stalked rabbits, crowd, pigeons and a few other things its. A marketing ploy if ever I saw one.

Hi guys

I was out to day in very hot sunshine ,as I left home at 5.00 am I had put on black jeans .

I was roasting so off came the shirt , still roasting off came the boots and you guested it still roasting so off came the jeans and carried on with just boxers socks and floppy hat. The birds kept comming in , it didn't matter weatherI was stood up or satdown they where commited to the pattern I had a good day

Martin

Hi guys

I was out to day in very hot sunshine ,as I left home at 5.00 am I had put on black jeans .

I was roasting so off came the shirt , still roasting off came the boots and you guested it still roasting so off came the jeans and carried on with just boxers socks and floppy hat. The birds kept comming in , it didn't matter weatherI was stood up or satdown they where commited to the pattern I had a good day

Martin

well done glad to hear it :good:

Any thing is possible with pigeons, likewise I think standing still and only moving at the last moment helps as colours, shapes, movement everything puts them off. But saying that I've been out on the field putting decoys out and they have been landing within yards of me.

I have found if shooting in bright sunshine stand in the shade, if out in the field make your hide covering the roof over a bit so you can sit in, it keeps you cool too!

Cheers Mick

Yanks and Germans are high on orange clothing for safety but only for ungulates (deer - boar) the rods in their eyes do not see colour so black & white and they rely on movement I understand birds see colour so the UV may spook them I have now washed my dpm jacket as the pigeons could smell me from 100 yards so time will tell on this topic.

Martin

Hi guys

Martin

Martian?

Does any one wash their hunting kit???

After a few trips out my kit gets thrown in the washer,

I know the facts about shape shadow movement.

That's why I thought that article I seen in the shooting mag may have something.

So far what's been said has been interesting to read.

Edited by Rick 684

If washing soap is your worry:

Go buy some soap flakes - it's simply grated soap like in a bar, it's not really scented and after a couple of trips doesn't really smell of anything. And won't have the u.v. stuff in it (incidentally, that's there to make whites look whiter :whistling: ).

Also doesn't strip waterproofing out of garments as quick as normal detergent :good: