You dont know until you ask...

thepasty

Hi Guys

Went out shooting with my bro today, we'd seen some pigeon on one of our perms but once walked off they didnt come back, we sat around for an hour or two, walked the hedges but nothing came of it.

I suggested having a look at one of our other perms, I didnt expect anything on it as its a couple of weeks away from becoming apealing to birds but I'm always up for a drive and walk around. Half way there we saw a world of corvids and pigeon hitting a field of wheat, we clapped them off from the road and they simply lifted, circled around and landed again.

This is what we'd be looking and waiting for, our first proper day on the birds this year... one problem we needed permission...

I swung the truck around and sped to the nearest farm, found a house and knocked. I introduced myself, explained what we do and what we'd seen then asked if it was his and whether he'd want it shot. The field wasnt his but after a long chat we got a good repor going and by the end he said we could shoot his wheat in a couple of weeks and gave me the name of the farmer we'd need to ask about the field seen earlier.... result!

I found the next farmer, did all the usual chit chat and he was dead chuffed to have us sort the birds out... while parting I thank him to which he replied "I should be thanking you!... thank you!!"... :)

So within an hour we'd gone from zero to hero, we spent the next hour or two having our best shooting this year, the birds just kept coming!

A cracking day resulting in some awesome shooting, good banter, 500 acres of wheat perms and a load of pigeon for the BBQ.

The moral to the story is and as my mother used to say "You dont know unless you ask"

cheers

Steve

the ground was so hard we couldnt get the hide poles in so had to improvise :)

2013-08-03%2017.47.41.jpg

The birds didnt seem bothered by it :good:

Both shooting new guns aswel, my bro got him self a spanking new Outlander and i got myself a ratty old remmy 1100 (I love it already :) )

Edited by thepasty