fourtrak or jimny

cleaner4hire

Right, I need a car for pottering round and shooting. Probably won't do more than 5000 year but will do a few long motorway drives. I've got around 2k to spend and have narrowed it down to these two. I'm liking the fact I can run the fourtrak on veg oil but not the amount of rust I've seen on a few so far. Both do similar mpg, both pretty reliable and easy to work on.

Any suggestions as I'm ******** if I can decide!!

To be honest theres a massive diference between the 2.

Do u need loads of room for dogs gear, carrying heavy gear in back, or towing trailers. If so the fourtrak would be the better option, but it will be twice the weight for off road work so when u get stuck u will be down to axles and a tractor job to get out, jimmnys often get stuck with wheels spinning on top of the grass, seen me wedgeing throttle and pushing my jimmny out myself.. Fourtrak were cracking motors back in there day but will be a fair while since they've stopped making them, must be 10+ years.

I had a sportrac, nice little motors but mine ended up being a pig, bought it off my dad who had it from new should off been a brillant motor, ended up being a nightmare, new (reconditioned) engine and gearbox in it and engine was on way out again when i traded it in again

Am a very happy jimny owner here and while a bit more space would be nice and towing ability too, the fourtrack in my mind doesnt offer enough extra to beat the jimnys light weight off road capability.

Am getting 37MPG on average from our Jimny, its great off road and in the snow and does everything i ask of it, it uses no oil and has an excellent heater for come winter.

Jimny gets my vote every time !

ATB

Matt

Jimny's are cracking motors depending wot u need as the size and towing are major drawbacks. Between me/dad and bro must have had around 15-20 suziki's, going back to the old SJ's and now the jimny's, sore on fuel thou and dear to buy new for wot they are (last 1 i bought was a 54plate spanking for 7K, proper price was 10 back then, bloody about 12 now)

Can anyone mind the old long wheel based SJ's u used to get.

Would be a cracking motor if they still sold them here (althou i seen some newish looking ones in NZ) still no towing but had plenty of room in the back, only problem all soft top/pick up type backs. i'd have 1 in an instant if u could get them here

I'd throw a vitara into this mix, I've had a couple of fourtraks and they are great but old and the tin worm is the main issue. They are fine for pootling round but I wouldn't want many long journeys in one mpg don't believe all you read they will be 28-30 absolute max. Jimneys again are too small for my needs and again I wouldn't want to go far in one, then you have the sporttrak just ignore the suggestion and cease talking to the people trying to trip you up with one. They have the same issues as the fourtrak with tinworm but the engines are the weak link with serious head gasket issues as they have to work hard and lower mpg than the fourtrak

for some reason i had my heart set on a sportrak (i dont get it either) but after looking at three across the south coast and each one of them genuinely not making it off the driveway i brought a frontera SWB and its been brilliant !!. My local landy dealer loves them as offroaders (tried to talk me out of buying a landy as well??).

I would recommend a frontera any day... that is until this one explodes then i will berate anyone who owns them :)