DSC1 revision tips

PUSC

thinking I might make some quick notes under, calibres, identification (easy enough till you get a fallow doe that looks like a sika...), seasons, disease and meat - they seem to be the trickiest bits (for someone inexperienced in stalking)

your nail it , nerves are a good thing , shows you give a **** , wait till you do your DSC 2 now that is mess your pants time hahaha I loved it .

have you got the deer quest CD rom ?

steve

carry a piece of paper around with you with dates on and keep testing you have it right when you have a spare minute. As for ident, remember that Sika have white scent glands on the rear hock, fallow don't , the rest is easy. Enjoy it, the multiple answers make it easier, usually the correct one jumps out at you.

I was told when doing mine not to spend too much time worrying about the dates, the answers are multi choice so as Redgum says the correct one jumps out at you. Also, you will get only one possibly two questions on seasons so even if you balls those ones up you still have plenty of room for another couple of errors.

the issue with the dates is the difference between England and Scotland tends to trip people up so just keep testing yourself on cards. I used the jelen online test and that really makes it all a piece of cake as there are only a set number of questions and once you have done the revision you can keep testing yourself to find the weak areas.

ID gets easier and easier the more pictures you look at

Thanks for the tips. I am staying with a friend who did his earlier in the year and has a decent amount of stalking experience so will get him to tutor me a bit.

Watching a few rutting videos to see behaviour in action too has helped!

When I did my DSC1 we were allowed to have the dates on a card with us in the exam.

It does defeat the object of having questions on them but the point was your are'nt going need the dates in the field at a moments notice, as you can easily look on the internet/card at home before going out.

So long as you know if buck or does of the given quarry are in season or not then there isn't much real life point in leaning the dates off by heart.

As for revision, go over the previous exam pictures of sex/species that and the diseases are the trickiest, meat hygiene is pretty much just common sense and the rest is fairly self explanatory. Good luck.

Edited by rtaylor