Beginners shotgun

Leev692

Hello all.

I'm fairly new to the sport and currently have a semi auto but I am now looking for a cheap over under around the £250 mark. I will be using it for both pigeons and clays

Can anyone advise any particular makes/ models to look at within my budget.

Ideally I would like a single trigger ejector.

Many thanks in advance

Lee

Thanks for the replys guys.

As I have said I'm new to the sport so excuse my ignorance but in relation to a "gun that fits" does that mean barrell length or not? Is it a case of the gun feeling right when you shoulder it? I'm only 5 ft 7 so is there a barrell size I should look at?

Thanks for the replys guys.

As I have said I'm new to the sport so excuse my ignorance but in relation to a "gun that fits" does that mean barrell length or not? Is it a case of the gun feeling right when you shoulder it? I'm only 5 ft 7 so is there a barrell size I should look at?

Not so much barrel length, but length of pull (LOP), comb height, drop at heel etc...

From Browning website:

Length of Pull is the distance from the middle of the butt (recoil pad) to the trigger. A stock that is too long may catch under the arm pit, or drag on the lower shoulder. It will feel uncomfortable and awkward, and can markedly delay the fast execution of a shot. On the other hand, a stock that is too short may deliver more recoil to the shoulder and cheek.

Since most shotguns have no rear sights as do rifles, the shotgunner sights along a plane from breech to barrel muzzle to target. In effect, the shooter's eye is the rear sight. Thus the amount of drop at the comb is extremely important in its effect on good or poor shooting. Should the comb be too low, the shooter's eye will be too low when the gun is properly cheeked, and the gun will throw the charge below the mark. If the comb stands too high, the impact of the charge will consistently be above the target. In addition, the shooter must place his cheek against the comb of the stock at the same spot and in the same manner on each successive shot. Otherwise, the shooter will be erratic, sometimes shooting under his target and sometimes over.

The drop at heel measurement is just as important to good hunting as is drop at the comb. It contributes a great deal to proper gun alignment and, if excessive, will cause the recoil to be more noticeable. A 1 5/8 inch drop at the comb, a 2 1/2 inch drop at the heel will prove correct for at least 95% of the shooters.

For trap and skeet guns, a straighter stock is provided which means less drop at both the comb and heel. This is because the target is small and generally taken while rising. With a straighter stock there is less danger of shooting under the bird -- even though the shooter holds dead on without blotting out the bird with the muzzle as the shot is fired.

The shooter of average physical characteristics should use a stock of standard dimensions. The drop at both comb and heel will generally fit well. Any minor adjustments in the length of the stock should come after some shooting has been done.

as a general rule its how the gun feels when in your shoulder,one way of checking is to mount the gun pointing at something and then close one eye in my case being right handed I close my left eye the sight should be on the target this is a rough test you can do and I am sure there are lots of other ways people try,also if you can find a friend who has experience in shooting they may be able to see where you are looking when standing in front of you when the gun is in your shoulder,but you wont really know if the gun is a reasonable fit until you shoot with it.but anyway all the best with your search