New wildfowling and everything else gun

grahamch

Am looking for a new/second hand gun to be used for wildfowling, rough shooting, pigeons, the odd let day etc.

What can anyone recommend?

Basic spec I need is 28-30 inch barrels, 3 inch chambers, steel proof and with a semi pistol grip stock and available or can be cast for a left hander.

Am certainly not interested in a semi auto - tried one for last two seasons could not get on with it.

I want to get a quality gun and my budget is up to £2k

Thanks in advance

Edited by grahamch

The only gun I had was a silver pigeon at first. I did all my shooting with it. Pigeon, pheasant, duck and inland goose. Most years putting a good few thousand cartridges through it. I used to put some heavy goose loads through it and its been in the solway with me a couple of times! The only problem I had with it is the gun got a bit loose. Easily sorted, got it tightened back up and striped down properly. The bloke who did it couldn't believe how much sand and salt came out! But it was still shooting every time I pulled the trigger!

I only use it for pheasant and the odd day pigeon shooting now. But I would like to have a crack on the geese with it again. It used to shoot factory hevi-shot loads very well. My mrs goes nuts as I still call the gun my lady!

I've got a Browning waterfowl which I use for my wilfowling and pigeon shooting. Great gun, very versatile and solid (i once dropped it in the sea and it was fine after a bit of extra cleaning), with the bonus of a 3.5 chamber if you think you need it.

I've got a Browning waterfowl which I use for my wilfowling and pigeon shooting. Great gun, very versatile and solid (i once dropped it in the sea and it was fine after a bit of extra cleaning), with the bonus of a 3.5 chamber if you think you need it.

I know others that have taken this route also. Personally I am a fan of the right tool for the right job at hand. With 2k to spend I class that as too much for an every day wildfowling tool on the foreshore. It were me I should buy a nice game gun s/hand and a wildfowling gun of no more than you can afford to use and not cry about if it gets a dunking. There are few game guns that allow changes of cast without fitting so why not save a bit back and get that fitted? A wildfowling gun then the fit becomes relevant to your clothing and the position your shooting from. In February you will be wearing far more clothes than September adding to your LOP considerably and balaclavas change cast. Shooting sitting, standing or shooting from a hole you mount different so "fit" is always being compromised and adapted for some.

I suggest something like a Silver pigeon, Browning, miroku for the game gun and a sturdy double from Spain (AYA / Zabala etc) or Russia (Baikal) for the marsh gun (unless its an Auto) there are a stack of good gas operated guns

Thanks for the advice. I take the point about maybe having both a fowling gun and a game gun but only want to have one gun.

Looked at Browning and Mirokus today and found them a bit lumpy to handle and the grips a bit big. Checked out a Beretta which was a lot nicer fit and to handle which would fit the bill if it came with a proper rounded half pistol stock.

A gun which did seem to fit the bill was a new Guerini Woodcock - any views on this make would be welcome. The dealer said the gun had been in stock, new since 2008 and hadn't sold but wanted full list for it..

Maybe back to looking again.

Winchester mod 23, if you can get one. Mine is 1/4 choke in both barrels, use 3" steel and just been out today using up my 3" lead on pigeons.

Not too light at 7lb, not too heavy either. I've had mine for over 30 years. Had the action polished up by greenfields in canterbury as the use of the safety allowed the sears to creep, they said this was unusual (completely cured the problem btw). Believe they were made by miroku but can't vouch for that.

Great gun for wigeon under the moon, very narrow barrel profile for a sbs.

It has a semi pistol grip single trigger ejector and filled a spot once occupied by an 8 lb bsa sbs 3" so much better. Wood is absolute rubbish in the standard grades, improves to appalling for the money in the better grades. You can probably buy one for less than half your budget and get new wood fitted to almost your taste for the rest of your money.

Resist the temptation to buy one with choke tubes fitted they make it a real fatty at the muzzle.

Edited by drone

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, have been looking at some of the recommendations and tried brownings and mirokus on clays. Got on ok with the but found the grips and forends very bulky which spolied the handling for me.

Berettas look ok but cant find one to try. Looked at a couple of Winchester 23s which may have been good guns when new but had been messed about with and the stocks ruined.

So back to square one.

Can anyone suggest a good 'wildfowling' gun shop?

• 2 weeks later...