Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about to head to bed ready for 0330 start. Kettles full, flask is ready, trucks laden, probably taken way too much stuff but hey. Plenty of geese on my pals farm so fingers crossed.

Waders are in the car, bag by the door and flask is beside the kettle. The dog is more excited than i am by the looks of things :lol:

Waders!!!! Well reminded

Good luck to all of you that is out in the morning :good: I won't be out with the gun till monday but I will be up early in the morning for a reccy as i was this morning.

With me getting exited and getting all my gear organised the poor hound doesn't know whether he is coming or going :lol:

Straight shooting fellow fowlers :good:

Got out and set up in good time. We had spoken to another group of guns and established who was going where. First small group got off the lakes and headed our way, we were going to let them pass when the other guns who were 500 yd wrong side of where they were meant to be iopened up. They had snuck in and cut us off and then proceeded to shoot at anything that came over invluding crows and pigeons.Most Ungentlemany. They had the good sense to clear out before we packed up.

Will be out again this evening

Had a great morning today, plenty of mallard about and a small number of teal too. The marsh was fairly quiet with only 9 guns going over the river, which meant we didn't have people sat on our shoulders as is usual for the 1st!

Only a single hen mallard passed within range of me on the morning flight, and 32g of Super Steel No.3's brought it down cleanly.

I moved up one of the gutters as the tide turned and threw some deeks onto the water. Although they didn't 'decoy' properly, they did come close enough for a look and by 09:30 I had 3 mallard and my mate had a mallard and a teal, we decided that was enough for us.

We watched for another hour or so and where encouraged by the number of mallard on the river. The geese passed over us several times, but neither of us have been particularly interested in shooting them over the last couple of seasons, so we left them be.

723BCC02-C1A5-489E-BDEE-90894C47D56D-110

http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/wildfowler69/Wildfowler12/?action=view&current=4858B4B1-A832-416C-BDC7-A8B834A867D3-11024-0000095CE45E3A97_zpsea49f027.mp4"

I watched a pereguine hunt a redshank too, although I didn't catch that on film!

EDIT: I can't get the videos to work, sorry! :(

Edited by Wildfowler12

Had a great morning today, plenty of mallard about and a small number of teal too. The marsh was fairly quite considering it was the 1st, with only 9 guns going over the river, which meant we didn't have people sat on our shoulders as is usual for the 1st!

Only a single hen mallard passed within range of me on the morning flight, and 32g of Super Steel No.3's brought it down cleanly.

I moved up one of the gutters as the tide turned and threw some deeks onto the water. Although they didn't 'decoy' properly, they did come close enough for a look and by 09:30 I had 3 mallard and my mate had a mallard and a teal, we decided that was enough for us.

We watched for another hour or so and where encouraged by the number of mallard on the river. The geese passed over us several times, but neither of us are particularly interested in shooting them at the minute (probably because of how far up the marsh we where!) so we left them be.

723BCC02-C1A5-489E-BDEE-90894C47D56D-110

http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/wildfowler69/Wildfowler12/?action=view&current=4858B4B1-A832-416C-BDC7-A8B834A867D3-11024-0000095CE45E3A97_zpsea49f027.mp4"

I watched a pereguine hunt a redshank too, although I didn't catch that on film!

EDIT: I can't get the videos to work, sorry! :(

Fantastic picture