Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2001 that's a fair old age bird!! I'm not sure but do any of you know what the life expectancy of a wild mallard is?

1. Mallard
  2. The Mallard or Wild Duck is a dabbling duck which breeds throughout the temperate and subtropical Americas, Europe, Asia, and North Africa, and has been introduced to New Zealand and Australia. Wikipedia
  3. Scientific name: Anas platyrhynchos
  4. Lifespan: 20 y on average (Adult)
  5. Mass: 0.7 – 1.6 kg (Adult)
  6. Wingspan: 81 – 98 cm (Adult)
  7. Length: 50 – 65 cm (Adult)

Regards

Hcc

Edited by harrycatcat1

I think the oldest ringed wild mallard was killed at 29 years old. I have not ringed many mallard to get long term recoveries , but I have a number of 13\14 year old tufted duck.

My oldest duck recoveries

tufted duck 15 years

wigeon 11.5 years

teal 4.5 years

gadwall 11 years

Out of 14,000 ducks ringed I have over 1000 recoveries between the South of France , Italy , Black Sea and Central Siberia. The vast majority of recoveries are from shot birds and most are less than 2 years old.

Edited by anser2

I think the oldest ringed wild mallard was killed at 29 years old. I have not ringed many mallard to get long term recoveries , but I have a number of 13\14 year old tufted duck.

My oldest duck recoveries

tufted duck 15 years

wigeon 11.5 years

teal 4.5 years

gadwall 11 years

Thats perhaps because they taste so bad not everyone is keen to shoot them !

I think its more likely that tufted duck do not visit areas of high shooting pressure as much as teal or wigon. All the tufted were rung in the Wensum valley in Norfolk where there is almost no shooting pressure as all the big estates think about is partridge and pheasant shooting and few bother with duck. Those that do usualy shoot small flight ponds not the scattered large lakes along the river valley that the tufted favour.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, not strictly wildfowling, but wildfowl shooting.

Following on from a day's beating on my dad's syndicate last Saturday, I was invited to a morning flight for duck and geese on the two large irrigation reservoirs and a walk about to kick up a few longtails to follow on Friday.

Meeting time was 6:30am in the yard, a bit too late to be honest, but as a guest I could not dictate.

I was there for just after 6 and the was a glimmer of blue to the east and the sound of greylags lifting off the reservoirs a quarter of a mile distant. Five others arrived, including the ol'man just before the meet time, and still odd small parties of greys were lifting. A quick change and a sort out of guns and cartridges, and then we set off at a bit of a jog trot to get down to the water in time, but I had visions of everything having gone out.

My dad and I finally got round to the river side of the lower reservoir although it took us a while with the ol' fellow a day shy of his 71st birthday, me, right at the water's edge in amongst the club rush, and my dad, the other side of the bank. The weather, although predicted to blow a bit, was still with barely a ripple on the water's surface, but there were clearly some geese still on the water, about 30 greys in all, but these seemed loath to lift. I was hoping for an early duck to give one of the other guns a shot and jump the geese, and no sooner had I had the thought, than a pair of mallard came over me at a shootable height, although I left them, not wanting to fire and send the geese the wrong way (for me). My dad had no such scruples, and dropped the pair in a fine right and left. This set the greys up to an agitated cackling and they look set to jump at any second. Another shot at a duck from the other side of the geese made up their minds, and they lifted in that cacophony of sound, that only geese can muster.

One party went out way to my right, with the remainder, a gaggle of 15 or so flighting parallel to the bank, angling out slightly and looked as though they would pass me at a decent range. The better part of the group swung out and up, heading for the far side of the reservoir but three kept coming on the original course, set to pass me at 35 yards or there abouts and 10ft above the water.

I jumped to my feet and swung through the closest goose and fired, and was amazed to see all three crash into the water together in a welter of spray to the single shot. Two dead out right, and the other very sick, but a swimmer, but a cripple stopping shot stopped it in his tracks. Lucky, the 'pocket' Labrador had a bit of a job cut out for her 12 years old, with three big greys and two mallard to pick off the water, and struggled a bit with the last goose.

Edited by Penelope

Out this morning, a few birds about but why is it during the normal season they flight out over the river when you are on the splashes and pools & now we have to be below MHW they flight straight over your favourite position above MHW :lol: . My interpretation of MHW must be different to some as today sombody set up in a small drainage ditch about 30 yards inland, i would have pointed out the error of his ways but he had gone by the time i got pushed off by the tide.

I've been out twice in the last three days I haven't seen a single duck!! There is still so much water about all over the place there is just too much choice. I will be doing one more evening flight this season and then that's me done.

I have had a very poor foreshore season, but I did miss a lot of it due to a broken ankle. I think off the top of my head I have had 5 shots and 3 foreshore duck all season. 2 teal and a mallard.