Non geographic telephone numbers like 0844 / 0870 / 0330

ME

We are moving at work and going to a different exchange area from 01268 to 01277, so we can't take our number with us.

Changing the phone number means editing many webpages so it has been suggested that we future-proof any other moves by using a non geographic number like 0844 from now on.

Personally I think these numbers are a bit unprofessional looking, untrustworthy and I also associate them with high call charges to call centres and often I will avoid calling them.

Obviously I don't want our clients thinking the same thing and I have probably answered my own question, but I wanted to canvass some PW opinion. What say you PW telephonic experts?

We are moving at work and going to a different exchange area from 01268 to 01277, so we can't take our number with us.

Changing the phone number means editing many webpages so it has been suggested that we future-proof any other moves by using a non geographic number like 0844 from now on.

Personally I think these numbers are a bit unprofessional looking, untrustworthy and I also associate them with high call charges to call centres and often I will avoid calling them.

Obviously I don't want our clients thinking the same thing and I have probably answered my own question, but I wanted to canvass some PW opinion. What say you PW telephonic experts?

I could not agree more - try ringing a few of them from a mobile, and watch your bill go stratospheric!

My whole family refuse to ring them, point blank, after an occasion when I rang one, albeit for a lengthy period, and the call cost was £86 !!! + VAT too!!

If I were you, I would do as BigAdam suggests.

Edited by FarmerSim

I also avoid any 08 or 07 numbers when possible.

I'm wondering if you can't port the old number to a VOIP provider - and then run both old and numbers side-by-side - or even just keep the old number (though that may confuse some customers if you are geographically located elsewhere far away).

All you would need at your new premises is an internet connection and an 'ATA' device which plugs into your router, and has a telephone connection on the other side.

I personally use sipgate - www.sipgate.co.uk - but I don't think they can port numbers.

Looking at Vonage - www.vonage.co.uk - they do appear to do number porting to their VOIP service.

There may be other, cheaper options - but this gives you some ideas.

Edit: Here are some more:

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

http://www.surevoip.co.uk/products/number-porting

Edited by aris