SACS website is down

yas

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably overloaded with all the new applications for their cheap legal cover :oops::lol:

Yeah, his mum is ploughing through those right now, but that washing won't do it self and those beds need turning down today because it's Tuesday. Tuesday also means it's sausages for tea this evening and so a trip to the butchers. She'll probably get round to sorting membership applications in the evening.

Yep, you get what you pay for in life.

It is back up now.

On closer inspection - i'm wondering who is behind SACS - and under what kind of umbrella?

BACS are an Industrial and provident society - so one can be fairly certain that their affairs and money they earn are used within the society. Everything is audited and you can check them out online:

https://mutuals.fsa.gov.uk/SocietyDetails.aspx?Number=28488&Suffix=R

I could find nothing on SACS. Their website is devoid of any details on who or what is behind the organisation or under what formal umbrella they are under. They are not listed at companies house, do not appear to be listed as a provident society - so what are they? I'm curious to know from anyone who joined who the payment was made to on their credit-card statement.

Why don't you just call them??

It is back up now.

On closer inspection - i'm wondering who is behind SACS - and under what kind of umbrella?

BACS are an Industrial and provident society - so one can be fairly certain that their affairs and money they earn are used within the society. Everything is audited and you can check them out online:

I could find nothing on SACS. Their website is devoid of any details on who or what is behind the organisation or under what formal umbrella they are under. They are not listed at companies house, do not appear to be listed as a provident society - so what are they? I'm curious to know from anyone who joined who the payment was made to on their credit-card statement.

It seems they are an Unincorporated Association.

https://www.gov.uk/business-legal-structures/unincorporated-association

This isn’t a legal structure, so the association won’t be recognised by the law. Individual members are personally responsible for any debts and contractual obligations.

I wonder what this means for members?

Edited by aris

It is back up now.

cheques are made to Scottish association for country sports, card payments are the same, but with a comma and larkhall at the end, hth

Ok, a bit of further investigation - their domain is registered to:

Name & Registered Office:

TOURISM DOCTOR LTD

SUITE 1A, CHURCHILL HOUSE

HORNDON BUSINESS PARK

WEST HORNDON

ESSEX

CM13 3XD

Company No. 05867554

At least put a little effort into it. You could not be further from the mark.

Tourism Doctor are web designers, a profit making organisation.

SACS registered address, clearly shown on their website,is SACS Netherholm, Netherburn, Larkhall,, ML9 3DG.

At least put a little effort into it. You could not be further from the mark.

Tourism Doctor are web designers, a profit making organisation.

SACS registered address, clearly shown on their website,is SACS Netherholm, Netherburn, Larkhall,, ML9 3DG.

Yes - I realised that and removed the comment. Still, i'd expect a body to register the domain in their own name.

SCOTTISH ASSOCIATION FOR COUNTRY SPORTS

Company #: -

Address: Netherholm, Netherburn

LARKHALL, ML9 3DG, Lanarkshire, GB

Description:Scottish Association For Country Sports has a good financial risk score of 4/5 and a very poor environmental score of 15/100.

Industry: Non-life insurance

Turnover: £97,000

Employees: 2

SCOTTISH ASSOCIATION FOR COUNTRY SPORTS
Company #: -
Address: Netherholm, Netherburn
LARKHALL, ML9 3DG, Lanarkshire, GB
Description:Scottish Association For Country Sports has a good financial risk score of 4/5 and a very poor environmental score of 15/100.
Industry: Non-life insurance
Turnover: £97,000
Employees: 2

So under what legal structure do they work? I found a reference to them being an unincorporated association. From what you have found, it sounds like all two of them are just insurance salesmen?

There is nothing stopping an association operating as an unincorporated body, BASC did up until about 15 years ago.

What is important though, regardless of incorporated or unincorporated status are the rules and constitution of the Association, these show what the association exists to do, how its run, rights of members, how meetings run etc. In other words its the 'heart & soul' of the association.

When it comes to selling insurance, its important to remember that this activity is strictly regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Unless you are registered with the FCA or are an appointed representative of an insurance provider who is resisted with the FCA then in general terms you cannot sell insurance - there are some exceptions I believe such as travel insurance for example.

Only those who sell insurance by way of business need to be regulated, remembering that this also applies if the insurance element is part of a 'package'. The 'business test' is fairly simple and the most simple way of looking at it is this - Would I still sell my product if I took the insurance element away? If yes you are probably selling insurance by way of business and you should look to register with the FCA or at least take advice from them, if no - you may not need to be registered.

These common sense regulations are in place to protect consumers, as it requires the seller of the insurance to make a clear declaration of the cover they provide, including key inclusions and exclusions of the policy to the consumer BFORE they buy for the first time AND at every renewal. This declaration has to be in a standard format of a 'Key Facts' document.

As to the turnover (ie revenue / income) of SACS quoted above, I think this must be out of date, as I understand SACS to have around 15,000 members (maybe I am wrong?) and with a turnover of £97k that makes it a little over £6 a member?

Anyway, please understand that this is not a dig at SACS or anyone else for that matter, just some points to clarify that organisations, ever larger ones can operate happily as an unincorporated body, and selling insurance is a strictly regulated activity.

David

Edited by David BASC

As to the turnover (ie revenue / income) of SACS quoted above, I think this must be out of date, as I understand SACS to have around 15,000 members (maybe I am wrong?) and with a turnover of £97k that makes it a little over £6 a member?

Taken verbatim. The accuracy of the info is affected by the limited sources. I have no idea why they don't have this on their website but after a bit of digging I did come up with a declaration of 17,000 members in 2011.

This is what concerned me. When I look at the 'About BASC' page on the BASC website - I get a pretty comprehensive list of information on how the organisation is structured, and who is involved.

On the SACS website - I get pretty much nothing.

Also, I suspect they will soon have to remove their claim to be the only association offering 100k legal insurance :lol:

This is what concerned me. When I look at the 'About BASC' page on the BASC website - I get a pretty comprehensive list of information on how the organisation is structured, and who is involved.

On the SACS website - I get pretty much nothing.

Also, I suspect they will soon have to remove their claim to be the only association offering 100k legal insurance :lol:

You are obviously a member of Sacs if the lack of information is "concerning" you.Now,take your time,calm doon and PM Vulpicide off of here and he will hopefully appease you as you seem most worried about this.I once got concerned about the price of Tampax and then remembered I was a bloke and what does it matter because I don't use them.

Edited by sako751sg

You are obviously a member of Sacs if the lack of information is "concerning" you.Now,take your time,calm doon and PM Vulpicide off of here and he will hopefully appease you as you seem most worried about this.I once got concerned about the price of Tampax and then remembered I was a bloke and what does it matter because I don't use them.

It should be concerning for all. They claim to represent shooters, but their shop window is doing so in an unprofessional way.

I personally don't have any concerns. Have a read through some of the Parliamentary documents, SACS do seem to have influence up North.

BTW. I am neither a member of SACS or BASC. I was with the CA but now I'm just a cheap **** looking for the best deal at the moment. ;-)

Edited by Marki

well i took up SACS and can tell you from first hand experience that one phone call ian has done everything to help me in my variation when i did not get what i much from other party's.

the newsletter that you get tells you whats going on and i am really happy with the service and will continue to use them the web site does not bother me one bit because the actual help i recieved and backing was all that counted ,atb wayne