Successfully introduction to gun fire

Cosd

Where I walk my 8 month pup he does get to hear gun shot in the distance. Over time I have walked closer and closer probably to about 1/4 mile from the guns.

This weekend the local clay shoot started at the usual time and I could hear it wasn't very busy. So I decided to take Jake over in the car to get him closer.

He was in the back of the Landy and I drove there stopping every hundred yards with the windows open. I was talking to him so he had something else to listen to and he wasn't bothered with the gun shot so we carried on.

Eventually got to the car park some 80 yards from the guns. I opened the tail gate and sat there with him. The noise didn't bother him at all. So next stage was getting out the car. He stared toward the bushes where the gun shots were coming from and was pulling to go toward.

I slowly walked him round to. About 30 yards from the guns. He sat to command and was intrigued with the noise. Ever so slight flinch in his skin for about a minute, then he was just fixated on the clays in the air and wanting to go to the ones that dropped to the ground.

Stayed all in all for about ten minutes and being really pleased I took him home.

This short clip is within the first minute of us around thirty yards from the guns.

Video not working, I'll try to work it out

Edited by Cosd

Excellent! I am new to the training side of gun dogs and I was most nervous of introducing her to gun fire. Its a great relief when they are fine and within start to finish being three weeks she now sits in the hide with me.

Excellent dogs. (P.S In the pictures there is your car/reg and home on view)

:good:

Excellent! I am new to the training side of gun dogs and I was most nervous of introducing her to gun fire. Its a great relief when they are fine and within start to finish being three weeks she now sits in the hide with me.

Excellent dogs. (P.S In the pictures there is your car/reg and home on view)

:good:

Thanks I'll post the video up when I work out how

I am against this whole clay ground entering, the dog gets little "good thing" association with it and you have no great control over the gunfire. Start small, handclaps and bowl banging at feeding time start things off, as the membrane in the ear develops start up with .22 short blanks (I often pop one off, then instantly blow recall giving a small food reward when the dog is pre-occupied) any problem of running back on hearing a bang is soon corrected later what I want is just bang=good stuff!

Progressing on to dummy work with blanks and then .410 shotgun towards 12 ga or 12ga at distance if lacking a smaller gun. Hide work again needs careful management of your dogs position to the blast and working in plenty good thing association.

A fully gun shy dog is a non starter and a gun nervous one can soon be turned incurable, I see no point in taking the slightest chance. That's said most dogs of good working lines wont generally have an issue with the ways spoken of in the OP- but if your does!

I had my at pup at work one day I was using the paslode nail gun putting a fence up dog wasn't fussed then I started With a cap gun with my pup ever time I played with her toys, for a couple of weeks then on to the hushpower 410 for a week ,then 12 g she loves it

That's a more regular intro (other than the nail gun). Association of bangs and toys is the biz. When you say "pup" be aware that pups have yet to develop a membrane in their ear fully and fully loud noises are best avoided until they are old enough, otherwise ear pain can develop with the said loud noise. Perhaps someone with better vet knowledge can name this and tell us when it is fully formed?