.17hmr and close range foxes

dazzyboi

Ok, this topic has been covered numourously..But i have a different area to ask...

We all know that some authorities do not like it, and some will allow it.

The rifle will be primaraly be used for pest/vermin control namely rabbits, but i have introduced the idea for short range foxes (not over 60-70 yards).

To try and sway the FEO to allow it on my ticket, is there any bullet's that are more suited and will do the job better when it comes to .17hmr's. Is there something more effective than the sub-sonics?

Just trying to get as much to back me as possible to try and give me the authority to do so.

Daz, if you come under the Gwent area FLD then they already accept the .17HMR for foxes, my mate was recently granted his and he has vermin and fox on his ticket. They do like to hear you explain that the polymer tipped expanding ammo generates enough impact damage to humanely control fox's out to 50-60yds :good:

daz when i asked my flo about shooting foxs with hmr he told me its perfectly legal as long as i am on my own land and keep distances down to 50 yrds max,thing is he said the same about .22lr,yet the .17 has twice the punch.he then lectured me if i was to shoot at a fox and it ran off there is a possibility some anti could find it, send it of to find the reason of death,if they find fragments of a bullit they can do a search of the area......end of my cert.dont no how true all this is mind.he then told me to get the right tool for the job .222 .223 i opted .223.you have to draw a line some where i have dropped foxy 120yrds :drinks: useing vmax still passed straight through his brain.its all down to your ability to no your range.sorry for the story hope this helps. :good:

daz when i asked my flo about shooting foxs with hmr he told me its perfectly legal as long as i am on my own land and keep distances down to 50 yrds max,thing is he said the same about .22lr,yet the .17 has twice the punch.he then lectured me if i was to shoot at a fox and it ran off there is a possibility some anti could find it, send it of to find the reason of death,if they find fragments of a bullit they can do a search of the area......end of my cert.dont no how true all this is mind.he then told me to get the right tool for the job .222 .223 i opted .223.you have to draw a line some where i have dropped foxy 120yrds :drinks: useing vmax still passed straight through his brain.its all down to your ability to no your range.sorry for the story hope this helps. :good:

I understand this fully and thought this might be the case, but if i do not think i can make a shot and dispatch the target cleanly and fully when i will not take the shot.

As regards to the ammo i will do some more reading up at work later when im bored.

just to get an idea of what people put through there hmr's...

Can you tell me the following:

Best Ballistic Tip round to use on Corvids/Rabbits:

Best Hollow Point to use on short range fox's if i get the go-ahead.

From what i've read look either for the remmy 17gr or the hornady 17gr....they're polymer(ballistic) tipped

just to get an idea of what people put through there hmr's...

Can you tell me the following:

Best Ballistic Tip round to use on Corvids/Rabbits:

Best Hollow Point to use on short range fox's if i get the go-ahead.

From what i've read look either for the remmy 17gr or the hornady 17gr....they're polymer(ballistic) tipped

Thats what people have told me aswell, 17gr hornandy BT for 150+ yards rabbits, and remmy 17gr for the close up foxs

Thats what people have told me aswell, 17gr hornandy BT for 150+ yards rabbits, and remmy 17gr for the close up foxs

The remmy's were grouping about an inch out of my mate's CZ @100yds.....he's taken a fox out to 70yds and it dropped stone dead...no kick no cry...but they don't alf make a mess of the bunnies...even headshots... :good:

Wouldn't use the polymer tipped bullets on foxes if it were me not that they wont do the job

If you can get them id use hornady's 20gr Hollowpoint bullet will do a better job on foxes giving more penetration and controlled expansion wheras the Polymer's just fragment on impact and expolde i guess is how u'd describe it for a fox with a head shot thats fine but the 20 grainer will still do well on a head shot but if your shooting them anywhere else like the shoulder its a much better bullet

Wouldn't use the polymer tipped bullets on foxes if it were me not that they wont do the job

If you can get them id use hornady's 20gr Hollowpoint bullet will do a better job on foxes giving more penetration and controlled expansion wheras the Polymer's just fragment on impact and expolde i guess is how u'd describe it for a fox with a head shot thats fine but the 20 grainer will still do well on a head shot but if your shooting them anywhere else like the shoulder its a much better bullet

nice one :good:

I was going to purchase both types depending on what i was looking for. I like to eat my rabbits after i shot them so meat damage is a no no so defenatly wont be using the hollowpoints for anything exept for foxes.

and there you have the first problem, using two different types of ammo which need zeroing separately switching between the two in the field is a bad idea in my opinion. As for the Vmax rounds exploding on impact thats a matter of opinion. I've shot a few foxes now with mine and I can safely say the vmax's transfer all the energy onto what they hit they don't come out the other side of foxy which the 20 grain hollow points can do. Go for head or boiler room shots and its pretty devastating.

I tested mine on inch thick plywood at 200 yards with the target made so that there was a gap between each piece of wood and 3 layers of it and it penetrated the lot but most of the balistic tip was left behind in layer 1.

To me its actually quite a competent fox round out to 100 yards and sometimes further, this is mostly due to the accuracy as well as the amount of energy behind the little bullet