Need a 4x4

deaquire

The one that comes out on top is Gladiator. To get the best quote i've used confused.com and compare the market, both for van insurance (if i try to get a car insurance quote it doesnt recognise the vehicle?)

Cheers guys you're helping massively

Go onto lv and direct line for just two that recognise pickup plates and let you run them as cars.

I have a 2010 Grand Vitara and it's great. It's a bit 'hairdresser' and lacking in street cred compared to the Defender I had before, but at least it spends more time on the road than in the garage. I loved the Defender but I had my fingers crossed every time I drove it, I never trusted it and it cost me a fortune in repairs. The Vitara is brilliant, very comfortable on long journeys, reliable, great load carrying area, good off road. I have the petrol one which is bit thirsty, the diesel engine would be the better option, but other than that, I can't fault it.

I have never had a 4x4 before I got a grand vitara 1.6 3door,paid 1200 for it 12mths ago. I had the sills removed and replaced to make it perfect, ripped the carpets out fitted 2 sunroofs stuck on a set of dakars and it was ready to go.It goes anywhere and with it being small and light it never boggs down.Farmer has no issues with me on the margins as long as its dry.It never leaves a mark and the grass just pops back up.I know people take the mick but they are very good.Never had to use lr gearing yet.Will defo have another, prob tdi next time though.

Edited by Davyo

Get a letter from company stating no claims in 4 years job jobbed L200 or pick up here you come...... Interested to know what the CR-V is lacking for your needs?

Gunna try that, thanks. Though I've only been a named driver on the van through company insurance (named as oppose to "any driver"). Nothing wrong at all with the CRV, but it's not mine.

I have never had a 4x4 before I got a grand vitara 1.6 3door,paid 1200 for it 12mths ago. I had the sills removed and replaced to make it perfect, ripped the carpets out fitted 2 sunroofs stuck on a set of dakars and it was ready to go.It goes anywhere and with it being small and light it never boggs down.Farmer has no issues with me on the margins as long as its dry.It never leaves a mark and the grass just pops back up.I know people take the mick but they are very good.Never had to use lr gearing yet.Will defo have another, prob tdi next time though.

If I go cheaper I think it'll be a 3 door Vitara, if I decide to spend more I'm going for a pick up.

Personally I would say either a newer l200 warrior or a Nissan pathfinder, I love my l200 been the most reliable comfortable vehicle I've ever owned great off road also anything seems like luxury coming from an old defender though I suppose....

I like the older L200, 05/06 years but not keen on the new ones, what is it doing at the back?

Can see myself going for a Navara.

Just test driven a Steed by The Great Wall. There was a funny "scraping" noise when you accelarate. Turns out it's the exhaust resonating which happened when they were imported and had to meet Euro NCAP standards, the bloke told me there's nothing can be done. Think I'll be avoiding that one.

Right so just come off phone with Admiral and for 25dci navara on 08 plate it's gunna be about £700. Fairly happy with that so now gotta keep my eyes open for the right vehicle. Its odd 'cos I'm with admiral atm and everytime I got a quote online they were saying £1400!!

Have a look at knackered navara web site,know quite a few happy owners as they now don't own them anymore.

A Rav4 or Vitara for cheap 4x4 would be my choice. The Misubishi Outlander is a Subaru with a badge change, good motor for general driving about with the 4x4 if needed.

My shoot bus/dog box is a 1997 R Reg Rav4 it goes everywhere I need it to and with its short wheelbase a lot of places my pick up couldn't.wife takes it shopping as she can park it anywhere easily and not worry about trolley marks.

Figgy